LGA1155 broken pin

total dork

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
My Sandybridge system has worked with no problems at all for over three months, but it suddently shutdown and won't start whatsoever; absolutely no life in it at all-- no beeps, no post. RAM, CPU and PSU have all checked out fine on other machines.

I noticed the LGA socket has one single broken pin. From some angles the socket looks fine, but when the light catches it right you can see something is not quite right so I used a magnifying glass. The pin is aligned correctly but is missing the hooked tip.

As the system was not overclocked, and was running with no stability problems for over three months, and I am sure I did not break anything (one pin!! :ouch: :ouch: ) putting it together or taking it apart, is it possible that the pin was already dodgy and broke apart due to repeated thermal expansion/contraction or something like that?

I am concerned I will have a hard time getting a replacement as I have heard many horror stories about this kind of thing. And I don't know if the pin was already like that (and something else failed with the motherboard) when I got it because the socket really does look fine on inspection depending on the light and could have been easily missed.

Am I screwed?

008Rohit

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
Am I screwed?
yah, you are!

This kind of damage is considered a Physical Damage so the manufacturer won't replace your board if you RMA it to them even if the board was faulty from the start!

Is it an Intel board? My 15days old Intel board died 17 days ago for no reason and I'm yet to get my replacement delivered.

spp85

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
If its not damaged by you then your eligible for a replacement. The Pin can get damaged accidentally like while installing CPU, CPU coolers giving excessive pressure etc. The only thing left to you is to sent it for replacement. Hopes the company replaces the motherboard for you. :)

total dork

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
Even if it was faulty from the start? How is that legal? I can see this turning into a he-said-she-said kind of situation.

Yeah it's my first Intel board and I'm quite annoyed. I was pretty scared putting the CPU into that socket as it all seemed so fragile and had to double check (no, triple!) I was doing it right when pulling that lever down as I thought no way that socket could be safe with the pressure required!

But it's just one single defective pin, discovered after it failing after three months of it working fine. None are bent, even the broken tipped one -- everything other pin is fine! it's pretty clear I haven't done anything stupid to the socket!

Surely I have some recourse with the retailer as after all I bought it from them?

008Rohit

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
Is it a DH61WW or DH61CR?

If so, a set of them made in China were faulty and all of them (probably) are gonna be replaced as said by Intel India.

total dork

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011

I heard Asus are very strict regarding RMAing with a broken pin; they'll just claim user damage and so I'll just have paid postage costs to get my dead board and a £50 handling charge in return.

I can only hope the online retailer I bought it from will be reasonable about this and replace it. But a check online suggests they may not be.

008Rohit

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
Ahh.. Thats so sad. Intel sends and receives faulty mobos for free even if it was damaged due to mishandling by user or any other causes that falls inside the "Physical Damage".

total dork

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011

If only I had known that three months ago!

Do you (or anyone else for that matter) know of any cases of these LGA pins failing during use? It would be good to have an example in case the retailer gets funny with me, and I can see their point as all I can find are people saying their boards were delivered defective or trying it on with the retailer because they've obviously ruined the board themselves and these cases are hard to tell apart. But my system was working fine until this.

Hemanth aka ryu

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013
Intel's cpu fan assembly and socket LGA 1155 /1156 should be nominated for 'ENGINEERING FAIL OF THE DECADE'. Yeterday i ended by with a new asus LGA1155 motherboard with pins bend(needless to say the warranty is void). You dont need to apply extra force to damage one of those things, its not your fault, its bad engineering.