LGA1366 Motherboard Problem

h3lpmeplzz

Prominent
Jul 28, 2017
I'm building a new pc but saving a few parts from my old pc. My processor is Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz and the socket is LGA 1366. I've found motherboards with that socket but i cant find one that has support for an ssd ( which i'm going to be buying for the new build), and support for a newer graphics card as i'm planning on getting a new one. Should I just start a new build completely? It might be easier than trying to use some of my old parts with new tech. ( and cheaper lol)

Solution
All LGA1366 motherboards use the X58 chipset with ICH10, so all of them including your old one supports every 2.5" SATA SSD ever made, though at 3Gbit/s. They also all had PCIe 2.0 x16 slots that will work with just about any modern PCIe 3.0 card.

It is inadvisable to buy a new LGA1366 motherboard for that old processor because they cost more now than they did 9 years ago due to limited supply, plus would offer little improvement over your old board no matter what it is. While benchmarks can show the difference between 6Gbit/s and 3Gbit/s, there is no detectable difference in normal use--both are ~100x quicker than a HDD with many small files.
All LGA1366 motherboards use the X58 chipset with ICH10, so all of them including your old one supports every 2.5" SATA SSD ever made, though at 3Gbit/s. They also all had PCIe 2.0 x16 slots that will work with just about any modern PCIe 3.0 card.

It is inadvisable to buy a new LGA1366 motherboard for that old processor because they cost more now than they did 9 years ago due to limited supply, plus would offer little improvement over your old board no matter what it is. While benchmarks can show the difference between 6Gbit/s and 3Gbit/s, there is no detectable difference in normal use--both are ~100x quicker than a HDD with many small files.

Solution