News LG's 240 Hz UltraGear OLED Gaming Monitors Arrive Next Month, Starting at $999

JTWrenn

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
I feel like reporting and reviews on these things should start also talking about profit margins. This all just feels rigged at this point to be ridiculous.

The prices on the LG OLED based monitors would be funny if they weren't so bad. I get that they're 240hz, but the 27" is carrying around a 30% price premium over the same thing in IPS.

I really like the idea of an ultrawide with more height to it since 21:9 34" are the same height as 16:9 27". Previously the only choice was the 38" 24:10 panel from LG, but it's very expensive and I believe only two monitors used it (Alienware and LG, the latter having a poor warranty for the monitor market). Going all of the way to 45" is just way too much with 1440p resolution 40" would have been a much better size to shoot for (this would be roughly equivalent to 16:9 32"). I don't think boosting resolution is viable as it would end up being around 25% more pixels than 4k.

blacknemesist

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2012
$1000 for a 27" monitor. Is this a joke? (compared to the 34" 21:9 OLEDs already available)

200cm/m3....guess we need QD-OLED.
No joke, anything for a PC that is "PC specific" carries a premium as if it is a breakthrough in technology while TVs have been using that for years.
One can argue the the response time is good and refresh rate is high but $1k almost gets you a G8 on black friday.
The 200 cd is just dumb for a monitor that has also HDR as a selling feature.
So glad I moved away from the QHD segment, nothing there is actually truely good except for the good old PG279Q, Rest in burn-in and scanlines my friend

anonymousdude

Distinguished
I'm not sure why they think a 45 in UW is a good idea. That's basically the same width as a 48 in tv. So I don't see why you wouldn't just get an LG C2 48in and be done with it, especially given the price difference. Yes it's 240 hz, but who's gaming competitively on a monitor this size?

The $1000 for the 27 in is also ridiculous. For $100-300 more you get one of the QD-OLED UWs. You lose 240hz, but ho many of us can actually tell the difference between 165/175 hz vs 240 hz? Then there's the matter of brightness, which from the 200cd/m2 rating they gave it and the lack of mention of peak brightness I think it's fairly safe to assume that the HDR performance is not going to be great.