LG's 31MU97 Monitor Has IPS Panel With 4096 x 2160 Resolution

Status
Not open for further replies.

ammaross

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
In other news, incident of organ harvesting has taken a sharp increase, particularly in technology-centric cities with a large IT workforce....

Omar Josef

Reputable
Nov 1, 2014
No hardware calibration? So this isn't a professional monitor then. I wonder why it's taking so long for EIZO or NEC to finally start selling high resolution displays.

flybri

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
Hate to say it, but considering the new Apple iMac has a higher resolution display (and wouldn't doubt if it was better quality as well) AND it's also a computer as well for $2,500 (yes, I know it's a Mac, but still, it's a pretty capable one at that), then I feel $1,400 is too much at this point. Before that iMac came out, this wouldn't have been a bad price, but they'll have to knock at least $200 minimum off the cost for it to be worth it in my opinion. (Yes, I know the screen on the iMac is 4" smaller than this LG, but the iMac is still 27" and thus has a significantly higher ppi) Just my two cents.

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
The problem with the retina iMac is that for $2400 you get a fantastic Display on a base model system ($500'ish PC price range)... the loaded retina iMac is a much more capable machine but then you're in for $4300 (less if you get some of the super expensive upgrades like memory and hdd yourself). For that kind of money you can have an IPS >30" 4k display and an x99 based machine that will wipe the floor with the iMac. I looked at the new iMac at the Apple store last week, the monitor deserves all the kudo's it's getting, it really is lovely... but it's also quite a bit smaller than my Asus PQ321... and visually it's not HUGELY better (biggest difference between the two other than size is that the iMac display was noticeably brighter and a bit crisper). I've been trying to choose between the loaded iMac and a fairly loaded 4k x99 machine, I'm leaning x99... I just have a hard time paying the same price for such a large performance differential.

Status
Not open for further replies.