LG's G3 to Sport Quad HD Display with 534 PPI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Friesen

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013
Quote, "The battery in the G2 was 3000 mAh; we wouldn't be surprised if LG didn't improve on the actual size of the battery, choosing instead to focus on energy saving via software optimizations."

That would have to be some miraculous energy saving optimizations, as the screen size increased and jumped in resolution, too. If it's to have the same battery life, I'd bet on a bigger battery.

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
Now they're just getting retarded with mobile devices. What happened to PC monitors being the cream of the crop in resolutions where it's actually necessary.

So tired of these new age words: "cloud" and "mobile" Can't wait for it to plateau.

kenh536

Honorable
Mar 31, 2013
I have a better idea. How bout give me a 1080p or even 720p screen that consumes less power and keep the bigger battery. I want battery life, not unneccesary pixels.

jcamel24

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
I dont know how many more pixels you would need on a phone. I definitely saw a difference from the older phones to 960x540 to 1080p, but really? I'd rather have a phone battery that lasts 3 days than a 1440p screen.

Sent from my LG G2

greghome

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
I have a better idea. How bout give me a 1080p or even 720p screen that consumes less power and keep the bigger battery. I want battery life, not unneccesary pixels.

Meet the Lenovo P780 and Huawei Ascend Mate :)

aldaia

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010
"the LG G3 will pack a Snapdragon 801 processor" Every new phone that I check packs a Qualcomm SoC, Wasn't this to be the year of Intel taking the market by storm?

Ohh, wait, 2010 was already the year Intel was taking the mobile market, then 2011, then 2012, then 2013, then 2014, but I guess we will need to wait to 2015 :D

Immaculate

Honorable
Mar 26, 2013
I know its a tech battle with flagship phones but I would rather have 1080p, bigger battery, better speaker. Removable storage would be great, the new SD cards seem really fast with a high capacity.

Zepid

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014
I just want a 27" 1440p AH-IPS monitor for 500 or less, with portrait/landscape rotating stand. Yet they focus all this effort on phones.

Jaroslav Jandek

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014
This is really getting silly. What's next? 4k displays in 6" smartphones? Both the displays and GPUs consume extra power which is unacceptable for me in mobile devices.
I really like what Nokia is doing with their phones. They have 4"-6" screens running 480p-720p (and one 1080p) and they look amazing, you barely see the difference in pixel density (unless you are looking for it - the only way you really notice is if you read a lot of small text).

You must be confused. Intel did not really attack the smartphone segment but the tablet segment. Atom-based tablets are one of the best-selling devices on the market (ASUS T100, Dell Venue 8 Pro, ...). I'd call that success.
Smartphone SoCs (you know, the ones with LTE/GSM/xG transceivers) just got announced recently at MWC 2014. Expecting Merrifield smartphones to immediately appear is all kinds of silly - they only have a reference phone (probably made by Asus) that is for testing only and won't make it to production and it is quite impressive performance-wise and mediocre manufacturing-wise.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
So sick of these uber high PPI displays. I, on the other hand, would love for a lower PPI display (heck, I think 1080p is overkill for phones), and would rather have a longer-lasting battery because of having to push fewer pixels, plus not demanding as much processing to push those pixels. I had the Optimus G, and now the G2; I thought the Optimus G with 1280x768 was overkill at 4.7", much less the G2 with 1080p yet only half an inch longer diameter screen.

aldaia

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010
You must be confused. Intel did not really attack the smartphone segment but the tablet segment.

Quote from January 11, 2010:
"Intel Moorestown platform to drive smartphones in 2010. Look for a boost in smartphone performance and capabilities as the Intel Moorestown platform starts to appear in devices this year. Intel says that the new mobile Internet device (MID) platform will be launching during the first half of 2010, and should begin appearing in consumer devices on the market as early as the third quarter."

Quote Jul. 2, 2010 "Intel’s Atom chips are finally ready for smartphones and we should see the fruits of Intel’s labor soon, just not this year. Instead, trade shows in early 2011 will set the stage for Intel smartphones."

Quote 11 January 2012: "CES 2012: Intel enters the lucrative smartphone market."

Quote 14 Jun 2013 "Intel smartphone trounces ARM in power trials. The Clover Trail+ platform is based on a 32nm Saltwell compute core. When 22nm parts based on Intel's upcoming – and more advanced – Silvermont Atom microarchitecture are slipped into the Merrifield smartphone platform later this year, Chipzilla's hand should be strengthened."

Quote January 30, 2014 "2014 an Important Year for Intel's Smartphone Plans. The company is expected to release its Android-compatible Merrifield-based dual-core Atom chip at Mobile World Congress 2014 next month. This 22 nm platform will also include NXP's PN547 NFC component and the XMM 7160 LTE component, allowing Intel to better compete with Qualcomm."

Jaroslav Jandek

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014
It did not happen. What came out of it was the Atom Z760 in 2011, which was not really noteworthy (IIRC it was used for ph/tablets). I wouldn't call it "taking the market" attempt by any measure.

The key word here is enters. And those phones are fairly successful - namely the Lenovo K800 and PMP 5430 - even know a few people that own them (these aren't the only Intel smartphones). But, they aren't meant to compete with top end ARM SoCs (even marketing says so) - it was a move to compete in power consumption, which it did.
Intel clearly felt so strongly about "taking the market" that they used 3 years old manufacturing technology to make those SoCs (instead of the more advanced 22nm they had at that time). Sarcasm off.
Also, there are still new devices coming based on this platform - even in 2014. Like ASUS ZenFone and ASUS PadFone.

And they did. Only now they have a SoC that is competitive with high-end ARM in performance, efficiency and price - not that it matters, it depends on the phone manufacturers to build a viable device (in late 2014 or early 2015). And this is reflected in the marketing as well. Expecting them to miraculously gain 50% market share instantly would be unreasonable, though. They are the underdog here - they have to work their way up step by step.

tachi1247

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
is the snapdragon 801 and adreno 330 combo capable of running 2560x1440? I thought that the 805/420 combo was going to be their first chip with 4k support? That would mean that the G3 will be getting the 805 instead of the 801, which makes sense since it is coming out later than it's competitors.

Jaroslav Jandek

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014
All S8xx SoCs can run 4k on an external display via HDMI or (for 805+) streaming.
The on-device display, however, uses Display Serial Interface (DSI). A single-channel DSI display is only capable of 2K resolutions. S805, S808 and S810 use dual-channel DSI to allow on-device 4K resolutions (which is silly, but whatever).

tachi1247

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
All S8xx SoCs can run 4k on an external display via HDMI or (for 805+) streaming.
The on-device display, however, uses Display Serial Interface (DSI). A single-channel DSI display is only capable of 2K resolutions. S805, S808 and S810 use dual-channel DSI to allow on-device 4K resolutions (which is silly, but whatever).

Well since the whole point of this article is that the phone will have a 4k display, that would mean the device is going to get the 805 processor, correct??

Chris Droste

Honorable
May 29, 2013
seriously, the 5.2" 1080p IPS display on the G2 is stellar, and at the VERY EDGE of what i would consider a viable size to operate one-handed. My chunky hands can barely thumb swype across the screen and the bezels are as thin as i can imagine being acceptable. No more pixels, please. make the screen more energy efficient with a wider brightness range, maybe even back it down a bit to 5" even. sure, cram an 805 in there, sure drop another gig of ram, but the size and screen resolutions i couldn't ask for more than the G2 presently. Always want faster, always want more ability (QHD or 4k output via new-gen HDMI? or thunderbolt? or display port? Sure!) but really. i like the idea of more ram, more internal memory, maybe a slight bump in battery. but please for the love of god don't make thing thing bigger and stop trying to cram more pixels in it. my 720p 4.5" IPS display on my Spectrum1 still looks damn nice with great color and saturation, but i wanted more speed and not have to carry the giant brick/bump on the back of them on the VZ models. i got that with the G2 and other than some weird negligible issues on KitKat, the phone screams. can we maybe get a hybrid Adreno 400 + 801 SoC at 2.6Ghz similar to how Moto did for the X? that would be awesome.

jmerithew1987

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
The 2 models of the Oppo Find 7 show why "Quad HD" isn't ready for primetime. The 1080p model with a 2.3 ghz Snapdragon 801 and 2ghz of ram scores higher than the model with the 2k display, 2.5 ghz Snapdragon 801 and 3ghz of ram. Unless the G3 is packing a Snapdragon 805, and it's a substantial step up from the 801, it's going to be a noticeable performance hit for a not so noticeable increase in visual quality. I'm far from an Apple fanboy, but "retina" is the only buzzword I support these days. If the human eye isn't going to notice an increase from pixel density, it's better to focus on contrast, smoothness of apps, and other facets of the phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.