LG's Shows Off World's Thinnest OLED TV at CES

Status
Not open for further replies.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
This might just be me but.. i prefer chunkier screens of say, 2-3CM in thinkness because it lets me know it's strong enough to take geek rage at LAN's (Sometimes people bang their tables when they get annoyed, shaking screens across the table).

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
This is got to be the cloesest thing to picture in a frame. OMG. Friggin amazing how thin it is!!

However, at what cost?

two7unsuited

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
Infinite contrast ratio is possible if you can turn a pixel completely off. Impossibly thin, but look at those bezels, they are completely average.

carlhenry

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]This might just be me but.. i prefer chunkier screens of say, 2-3CM in thinkness because it lets me know it's strong enough to take geek rage at LAN's (Sometimes people bang their tables when they get annoyed, shaking screens across the table).[/citation]

this is perfect for eyefinity.

Im assuming infinite contrast is their way of saying it can do perfect white and black at the same time. Since this is an OLED which will not require a back light since the light source is the screen then yeah I guess in a way it has infinite contrast or proably more acuratly near perfect contrast. A 600Mhz refresh rate is pretty damn impressive as well.

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
[citation][nom]chaosgs[/nom]Is "Infinite Contrast Ratio" even possible?[/citation]

No, it's just marketing BS like 1,000,000:1 contrast ratios and the like, or reverse whatever they're doing now all it is, is meant to confuse customers and sucker them into looking at the numbers w/ bigger = better.

[citation][nom]bison88[/nom]No, it's just marketing BS like 1,000,000:1 contrast ratios and the like, or reverse whatever they're doing now all it is, is meant to confuse customers and sucker them into looking at the numbers w/ bigger = better.[/citation]

Interestingly enough, this is the one case where you're wrong. The ridiculous dynamic contrast ratios advertised by LCDs are 100% marketing BS, and there is not really any difference between the ones advertising 10k:1 and 500k:1. However, since this is OLED, the black areas of the screen genuinely are black, with zero light emission. This gives an effectively infinite contrast ratio, and it doesn't even need any marketing BS to do it.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
[citation][nom]bison88[/nom]No, it's just marketing BS like 1,000,000:1 contrast ratios and the like, or reverse whatever they're doing now all it is, is meant to confuse customers and sucker them into looking at the numbers w/ bigger = better.[/citation]
i agree, it is marketing BS

but anyone with eyes can see that the darks are dark as hell and the lights are... light as hell lol

x3style

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
[citation][nom]curiousgeorgieo[/nom]This just in: LG guy trips while wall-mounting his OLED screen and slices himself in half[/citation]
In other news, someone tripped on the stairs and died, the goverment is looking into banning stairs,because there is no cure for being stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.