LG's VR HMD Shows High-End Promise, May Offer Mixed Reality

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like it could be a leader of the second gen headsets. It's one of the first, to my knowledge, from a larger well known company targeting the high end. I think because it's coming from LG and they are working with valve/steam it could give them a solid boost over some of the other second gen headsets. Being a larger established company they'll have fewer production issues, supply chain issues, more ergonomics experience, better product support. The list goes on.

c4s2k3

Reputable
Sep 17, 2015

First of all, let me apologize for downvoting your comment. I was using the iPad and accidentally touched that icon, and found no way to reverse that :/

What I was trying to do was add that lighthouse would likely be needed to track the controllers.

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014

That's a good point, but then why the front camera placeholders? LG was clear that it has not finalized designs and plans. It's half-baked at this point. They knew what they wanted to do with the optics, and my first impression is that they did a great job on that, but they're still sort of on the drawing board with everything else.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I think MR is still useful without inside-out tracking. I'm sure we've seen at least one other AR HMD that's tied to a PC, but I forget the name.

Anyway, two holes just isn't enough to switch over to inside-out. Look at everyone who's doing this, seriously, and you'll see an array of cameras and depth sensors spanning at least three sides of the unit. This is necessary, otherwise you'd have to make users hang posters on their walls or something else for the forward cameras to track.

BTW, a slightly-better "me too" isn't what we need. This really needs to be wireless. That'd be a Vive killer, for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.