Li-ion 3.7v PCM wired in a Series?

oO_Sketch_Oo

Reputable
Nov 13, 2014
Greetings,

As the title suggests, I have multiple 3.7v 1 Amp, 1 Cell PCMs and I would like to know if I could hook these up in a series in order to output about 12v. Thank you very much for your time.

Regards,
E Bub

Solution
If you read the DW01's specs, the chip can handle up to 26V on the CS pin, which should be enough to put up to five in series, six if you push your luck.

oO_Sketch_Oo

Reputable
Nov 13, 2014

Is the over-discharge feature not a function of the PCM? These are the ones I currently own [http://]. I was informed that these would monitor single cells, and appropriately shut them off when they were too low. Can three or more of these be wired up to produce 12v without frying the boards? Charging is not a requirement. Thanks again.

Regards,
E Bub

InvalidError

Titan
At the very least, there is no clear indication on the seller's page indicating that it shouldn't work. If you put one of these on each cell and wire them in series, it should work at least for discharging but you may want to double-check the control chip's maximum blocking voltage to make certain it can handle at least 12V.

oO_Sketch_Oo

Reputable
Nov 13, 2014

I found this for the Control chip installed: PDF DOC
It states the absolute max Voltage is 28 from what I got out of it, would you mind double checking this for me? Thank you again for your help.

Regards E Bub.

InvalidError

Titan
Have a look at Table 3, you need to pick a chip variant with the correct threshold voltage for the specific battery cells you want to use.

Also, it appears that those chips are hard-wire to require either four or five cells, which means you cannot use just three if that is what you had in mind.

oO_Sketch_Oo

Reputable
Nov 13, 2014

After reading more of the PDF, I found myself to be a fool, many apologies. The previous PDF was for an 18 pin, while mine remains at 8 pins, and after harsher scrutiny this datasheet appears to be the correct one: [Datasheet PDF\
The lower table states the max drain rate to 20v.

oO_Sketch_Oo

Reputable
Nov 13, 2014

The PCM I purchased is in no means a multi cell unit, it simply shuts off it's single attached cell when it's voltage gets too low. I want to link three of these units in series (About 4v each) to get a total of about 12v. I just wanted to know if this was possible to achieve without frying the units. This is what I am planning to do with them:
Diagram