[SOLVED] liam 2 mesh aio config?

Nov 29, 2020
I'm curious about aio placement and airflow.

I've read (I know it's a big thing now about it) AIO's front mounted with the tubes up top are bad and causes air to build up in the AIO, causing less cooling.

My case supports supports 360 front mount aio (would be top tube)

or put 240 in front and 1 regular fan at the bottom on the front aio tubes down? use it as intake

or 240 at the top?

Could put a 280 in front, but dont think a 120mm fan would fit below and would look ugly.

I don't think a 280 can fit at the top :(

Which do you prefer? Having it on the front would produce fresh cool air would seem to help, but I really want a 360 aio but this and that about it, every other person says "don't worry etc etc about top tube mounting" but air does get in the pump meaning the cpu isn't 100% filled with water = less cool....

I'm planning on purchasing a ryzen 5 5600x. The site is down atm, so I can't post the site showing a picture for best air flow.

Solution
Would a corsair aio be fine? I wanted a kraken but the fans rgb wouldn't match my case.
I'd rather see you get a unit with the looks you want, than having to go and spend a good chunk more on the fans you want, without the possibility of hampering the cooler's performance.
I suppose you're looking at Corsair's H150i Elite Capellix?

pause the video where I linked at, this is the case I'm using and the radiator can be adjusted to go up lower or higher. Does that look good? Just put the radiator as high as I can?
Yes, and yes.

Should the wires sticking out of the pump go a certain way to work better? cables sticking out south? north? east? west? His is pointing east (towards the radiator) when I looked more through...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I've read (I know it's a big thing now about it) AIO's front mounted with the tubes up top are bad and causes air to build up in the AIO, causing less cooling.
There's a catch with this.
It is fine, as long as the pump isn't the highest point of the loop. Despite that, the user(you) will not be able to keep it there as long compared to tubing down or top mounting, as fluid permeates the tubing over the years, and the gurgling and running water sounds become more prevalent due to more air making it's way to the top of the radiator.
Plus, the vast majority of these hybrid coolers aren't intended to be serviced or refilled by the user.

As for the rest, you pick your poison:
A)Prioritize cpu cooling.
Front mounted radiator, top and rear exhausts.

B)Prioritize gpu cooling.
Top mounted radiator and front intake.
Rear is more optional here:
-Leave it empty, and the rear-most fan on the hybrid cooler will pull air through there. You might want to put a filter there because of that.
-Seal it up and have the hybrid cooler be the prime source of exhaust.
-Set as exhaust.

Reactions: ReDRuM9999
Nov 29, 2020
There's a catch with this.
It is fine, as long as the pump isn't the highest point of the loop. Despite that, the user(you) will not be able to keep it there as long compared to tubing down or top mounting, as fluid permeates the tubing over the years, and the gurgling and running water sounds become more prevalent due to more air making it's way to the top of the radiator.
Plus, the vast majority of these hybrid coolers aren't intended to be serviced or refilled by the user.

As for the rest, you pick your poison:
A)Prioritize cpu cooling.
Front mounted radiator, top and rear exhausts.

B)Prioritize gpu cooling.
Top mounted radiator and front intake.
Rear is more optional here:
-Leave it empty, and the rear-most fan on the hybrid cooler will pull air through there. You might want to put a filter there because of that.
-Seal it up and have the hybrid cooler be the prime source of exhaust.
-Set as exhaust.

I think a lot of people didn't understand the aio mounting video he made. Here's a simple version that explains it very well.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6m9Xhzc6Kw

Having tubing down keeps the pump which is on the cpu, filled with water 24/7..

If I line mount it up with the tubes, it will hurt the temps right?

So I shouldn't go for 360 AIO for that case, and I can't find any other cases that look as good or cool as good that can fit 360 AIO other than the phanteks p500 which I don't like the little opening at the front inside the case near the front intake fans(maybe I could put something over it)

Get a medical grade mesh filter to put on the back 120mm fan? I guess the fans on the bottom of the case don't need filters.

I'm thinking maybe just mounting it up top, I think the front mount looks dumb unless it's 360, unless people think it's actually better to front mount.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I understood GN Steve's video just fine.
-Air rises/makes it way to the highest point of a fluid filled container.
-The pump should stay 'wet' at all times.
-As long as the pump isn't the highest point of the loop, there's no risk in trapping air in there.

If it was that serious, then no one should front mount hybrid coolers, ever - only top mount.

I'm thinking maybe just mounting it up top, I think the front mount looks dumb unless it's 360, unless people think it's actually better to front mount.
Front mounting(intake) yields the best thermals overall for the part the hybrid cooler is being mounted to, because it has direct access to the cooler room air, compared to top mounted exhaust which is already heated.

Reactions: ReDRuM9999
Nov 29, 2020
I understood GN Steve's video just fine.
-Air rises/makes it way to the highest point of a fluid filled container.
-The pump should stay 'wet' at all times.
-As long as the pump isn't the highest point of the loop, there's no risk in trapping air in there.

If it was that serious, then no one should front mount hybrid coolers, ever - only top mount.

Front mounting(intake) yields the best thermals overall for the part the hybrid cooler is being mounted to, because it has direct access to the cooler room air, compared to top mounted exhaust which is already heated.

Ok, thanks a lot. You're an ambassador here and speak with high confidence and actually seem concern and want to help which others didn't, so I'll trust your answer and grab a 360 aio. Would a corsair aio be fine? I wanted a kraken but the fans rgb wouldn't match my case.

View: https://youtu.be/2mMBA4lzDvo?t=6884

pause the video where I linked at, this is the case I'm using and the radiator can be adjusted to go up lower or higher. Does that look good? Just put the radiator as high as I can?

Should the wires sticking out of the pump go a certain way to work better? cables sticking out south? north? east? west? His is pointing east (towards the radiator) when I looked more through the video.

I appreciate your help so much and now feel happy with my case(the only part I have) which I've been hella OCD worrying about the case, a 360 aio or not.

edit ;; here's my planned list for pcpp

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/JZxKsX

I hope I can do a bios update, I won't be able to get another cpu but can use my old pc to make a usb drive to flash it.

also says warning about clearance but think it's talking about my 360 aio not being able to be mounted on the top of my pc.

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Would a corsair aio be fine? I wanted a kraken but the fans rgb wouldn't match my case.
I'd rather see you get a unit with the looks you want, than having to go and spend a good chunk more on the fans you want, without the possibility of hampering the cooler's performance.
I suppose you're looking at Corsair's H150i Elite Capellix?

Yes, and yes.

Should the wires sticking out of the pump go a certain way to work better? cables sticking out south? north? east? west? His is pointing east (towards the radiator) when I looked more through the video.
Nah. Do what works for you. Zip ties are also an option.
View: https://imgur.com/71jLuzc

I think I'm going to run those 2 cables under the ram. I don't care too much for how it looks running over it at the moment...

edit ;; here's my planned list for pcpp

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/JZxKsX
Looks ok to me!

I hope I can do a bios update, I won't be able to get another cpu but can use my old pc to make a usb drive to flash it.
The motherboard currently on your list has a bios flashback feature, allowing you to update it without having a cpu installed if the need arises.

also says warning about clearance but think it's talking about my 360 aio not being able to be mounted on the top of my pc.
The warnings were further down:
  • Some AMD B550 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Vermeer CPUs. Upgrading the BIOS may require a different CPU that is supported by older BIOS revisions.
  • Note: Some physical dimension restrictions cannot (yet) be automatically checked, such as cpu cooler / RAM clearance with modules using tall heat spreaders.

There was also the option to 'Flag issues/incompatibilities as incorrect'.
The 2nd one partpicker always warns about - it isn't perfect.

Solution