[SOLVED] Lian Li 011 Dynamic/Ryzen 5900x Fan/AIO Layout?

Jul 13, 2021
Hello.

I am curious what has shown the most promise for cooling with a Lian Li o-11 Dynamic case fan/AIO layout to cool a Ryzen 5900x? Temps, case pressure, etc.

I currently have 3 Corsair QL 120 on the bottom as INTAKE, 3 Corsair QL 120 side mounted as INTAKE, and Corsair h150i 320mm top mounted as EXHAUST.

This has always been the best option for me with previous builds after testing, However after 2 separate 5900x running very hot due to high v core feed, I am wondering if this is still best option for this layout?

Thanks for your time.

Solution
PC is a space heater at its core. A higher focus on exhaust will always be better for system cooling.
Want to bring up the dust argument, that's on you. It's inevitable unless you live in a vaccuum-sealed room - organize a cleaning schedule.

Corsair QL: looks >>> performance. They are sorely lacking in muscle, and not ideal in spots with even moderate airflow resistance present, such as the bottom of the O11, which has the most resistance present between top/side/rear/bottom.
Radiators are definitely a no-no for these fans.
These fans are better suited for exhausts, because of the combination of their low static pressure and areas designated for exhaust typically have less airflow resistance than the other areas.

Even though your...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
PC is a space heater at its core. A higher focus on exhaust will always be better for system cooling.
Want to bring up the dust argument, that's on you. It's inevitable unless you live in a vaccuum-sealed room - organize a cleaning schedule.

Corsair QL: looks >>> performance. They are sorely lacking in muscle, and not ideal in spots with even moderate airflow resistance present, such as the bottom of the O11, which has the most resistance present between top/side/rear/bottom.
Radiators are definitely a no-no for these fans.
These fans are better suited for exhausts, because of the combination of their low static pressure and areas designated for exhaust typically have less airflow resistance than the other areas.

Even though your current setup has more intakes than exhausts, the PC likely is exhaust > intake.
-I think it's safe to assume the QLs at the bottom aren't doing much of anything, so that leaves the side intake and top exhaust.
-On top of the QL fans' weaknesses, the air that comes in through the side has to turn once inside, losing some more air pressure.
-Even if the H150i was used as intake to make it intake > exhaust, that's less effective cooling than leaving it as exhaust - minus the dust argument. Well, pick your poison, I guess.

Solution
Jul 13, 2021
so is your suggestion to be for the AIO top mounted with 3 ML 120mm fans to be intake? as well as the bottom 3 ql 120mm fans as intake 9feeds fresh air to the gpu), and then the 3 side QL 120mm fans to be exhaust?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
No. The way you currently have it is probably the most effective way to get heat out.
The problem is that the QL fans don't allow for many good cooling alternatives over the current setup, if at all.

It more or less depends on what the gpu is, but top intake cooling setups often do not work well, because most users have the axial fan cooled models that dump all their heat inside the chassis.
That's no good because top intake running into that delays getting the heat out.

mxnty

Prominent
Mar 4, 2021
I have a similar setup, and I’ll provide details in a bit. But I have Bitspower Touchaqua Notos fans and they not only look great, but have a decent cfm of around 50. $70 for a 5 pack with PWM hub and RGB hub, would highly recommend.