[SOLVED] Lian Li DynamicXL Fan duct

KoolerThanJesus

Commendable
Jan 6, 2020
Simple question, how much of an impact do you think this mod would make on cooling? Does anyone have this mod or something like it?
Also, does anyone think this would increase or maybe even possibly decrease the amount of static pressure a fan has?
I would think that since the duct sits flush with the side grate that it would create a "suction" like effect, creating more static pressure.
What do yall think?
Thanks babes

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The comments on the Etsy page that sell these particular ducts say they actually bring down temps a fare amount.
What do you think about the question regarding pressure? Do you think these ducts would add pressure as intake?
Sure, if they're 'aimed' directly at the components... I can imagine they'd do that well, but the O11's side panel doesn't allow for a straight shot.

Pressure: I see them as being a little worse or not doing anything. My reasoning has to do with fans drawing air in a cone; these ducts look to make that cone more narrow - which may or may not be a good thing.
Plus the O11 Dynamic's side grille isn't the most porous design for airflow, but its not outright terrible either.
Makes more sense to me if the ducts were one the opposite site for the air coming out the other end in a chassis with front intake fans... well, you'll see what happens before long anyway. Too much speculation can be poison.

Reactions: KoolerThanJesus

kanewolf

Titan
Simple question, how much of an impact do you think this mod would make on cooling? Does anyone have this mod or something like it?
Also, does anyone think this would increase or maybe even possibly decrease the amount of static pressure a fan has?
I would think that since the duct sits flush with the side grate that it would create a "suction" like effect, creating more static pressure.
What do yall think?
Thanks babes
Assuming this is the intake side of the fan, it will limit the area a filter is required. It could minimize "wrap around" airflow (inside case air that is pulled back to the input).

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Including what kanewolf posted, I feel like the ducts don't serve much purpose in their current iteration.
I feel the ducts should be on the opposite side of the fans for more focused flow. My idea doesn't pan out well in the O11's side because the air still needs to turn to pass over the components that need it, and placing ducts on the opposing side of the fans would be needlessly focusing the flow towards the side glass panel. Now, if it were a chassis with front panel intake...

KoolerThanJesus

Commendable
Jan 6, 2020
Assuming this is the intake side of the fan, it will limit the area a filter is required. It could minimize "wrap around" airflow (inside case air that is pulled back to the input).
Including what kanewolf posted, I feel like the ducts don't serve much purpose in their current iteration.
I feel the ducts should be on the opposite side of the fans for more focused flow. My idea doesn't pan out well in the O11's side because the air still needs to turn to pass over the components that need it, and placing ducts on the opposing side of the fans would be needlessly focusing the flow towards the side glass panel. Now, if it were a chassis with front panel intake...
Thanks fellas. Similar to what I was thinking. The comments on the Etsy page that sell these particular ducts say they actually bring down temps a fare amount.
What do you think about the question regarding pressure? Do you think these ducts would add pressure as intake?

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan
Thanks fellas. Similar to what I was thinking. The comments on the Etsy page that sell these particular ducts say they actually brings down temps a fare amount.
Could they cause a less turbulent airflow through the fan? Maybe. Would that change the static pressure? I have no idea.... Even if it did change the pressure, would that change cooling? Again, I have no idea. ANYTHING said would be pure speculation.

KoolerThanJesus

Commendable
Jan 6, 2020
Could they cause a less turbulent airflow through the fan? Maybe. Would that change the static pressure? I have no idea.... Even if it did change the pressure, would that change cooling? Again, I have no idea. ANYTHING said would be pure speculation.
Kool. Thanks.

I bought a set of these so if anyone is interested, I'll check back after I get them in & use em for afew days. I'll log everything on HWinfo

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The comments on the Etsy page that sell these particular ducts say they actually bring down temps a fare amount.
Sure, if they're 'aimed' directly at the components... I can imagine they'd do that well, but the O11's side panel doesn't allow for a straight shot.

Pressure: I see them as being a little worse or not doing anything. My reasoning has to do with fans drawing air in a cone; these ducts look to make that cone more narrow - which may or may not be a good thing.
Plus the O11 Dynamic's side grille isn't the most porous design for airflow, but its not outright terrible either.
Makes more sense to me if the ducts were one the opposite site for the air coming out the other end in a chassis with front intake fans... well, you'll see what happens before long anyway. Too much speculation can be poison.

ASK THE COMMUNITY