Review Lian Li Lancool 205M (Microcenter mATX case)

Status
Not open for further replies.

justinbower

Prominent
Jan 23, 2019
I bounced around a lot on case selection for a budget mATX build, and eventually landed on the Lian Li LanCool 205m from Micro Center. Despite having a cringeworth name, this is a stellar case (this is the mAtx version of their widely available Lancool 205 case). It's better than it probably even needs to be. I'm really, really impressed at the build quality of the case in pretty much every regard. If you have a MC near you, I'd highly recommend it. It doesn't hurt that it's in the 50-60 dollar range. Here's what I love:
  • The construction is everything you expect from a well made Lian Li case, which is surprising at this price point. Even the removeable front panel is metal. Glass panel is solid, case just feels solid throughout.
  • The design is well thought through, in both the minimalist but tasteful aesthetic, and in functional means. Rubber grommets for cable management, cutouts where you want cutouts, a glass panel that sits flush as its fastened with thumbscrews in the back, even the IO panel has quality components like a power button that looks like the kind on expensive Fractal Design cases (shiny concentric ring type that makes a satisfying solid click instead of a wiggly contact).
  • The balance between very compact dimensions and very spacious room throughout. Unless your mATX build is running ludicrous custom water cooled loops, this is going to be a great case for you.
  • Two 4pin lian li pwm fans included that seem to do a decent enough job.
  • Good airflow, even with the closed front design. Whole top is mesh, with magnetic screen
All in all just a great case even before you consider the price point. The only things that were mild downsides were the lack of usb c, and the lack of a full bottom filter pulled out from the front. Everything else feels very premium. Lian Li did a great job extending quality to this price level.

Reactions: Beave89
Status
Not open for further replies.