[SOLVED] Lian Li Lancool ii Mesh cooling

Bob1nba

Reputable
Aug 10, 2019
I am looking into the Lian Li lancool ii mesh for my new build as I've heard its a great case all around, especially when it comes
to thermal cooling potential. My plan is to replace to 2 front fans in the case with the Nzxt kraken x73 360mm AIO, as the front supports 3x120mm rads to cool my 5800x. Those fans would I assume be ran as intake correct?

Now that leaves room for 2 fans on top and one on the rear. Do you recommend using all those fans as exhaust, or only use the top as exhaust? I'm just trying to find out what the best cooling option for me in this case would be. Thanks.

Solution
D
Your speaking of this case correct?

So you recommend the radiator mounted up top blowing out rather than in the front?
And it looks like the case comes with 3 fans, do you know if they are 120 or 140mm or did you purchase your own fans for the front, bottom and rear?

Yes that's the case... I have the white version. It comes with 3x 140mm's but I swapped them all out for 140mm be quiet fans. I'm sure the included fans are fine I just wanted all my fans to be the same.

As far as the radiator mounting/airflow setup goes...

There is no best. There will be a minor cooling tradeoff regardless of what you do.

This is true. My last build I had a 280mm in the front... blowing warm air into the case. I was kinda forced...
D

Deleted member 2838871

If you are still "looking into" and aren't yet sold on the LL... consider the Fractal Meshify 2. It made Gamers Nexus best of 2020 and won best mechanical design... supports 360/420mm AIOs...

In mine I have the 360mm Z73 up top blowing warm air out... 3x 140mm's blowing cool air in the front... 1x 140mm doing the same at the bottom... and 1x 140mm blowing warm air out the back. The case also features front USB C which I believe the Lian Li requires an additional purchase on that.

Anyway, you said you were interested in good cooling options so I figured I'd mention this case as an alternative.

Last edited by a moderator:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1)Might want to reconsider putting a 360mm hybrid in there:
https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3602-lian-li-lancool-ii-mesh-case-review
"We don’t recommend mounting radiators larger than 280mm in this case: the front just barely has space for a 360mm rad, and probably only with the tubes up, which is inadvisable since it creates pump whine and water starvation after permeation sets in over time. The drive cage is repositionable and removable, but there’s already limited space to work with under the shroud without adding fans and radiators into the mix."

2)There is no best. There will be a minor cooling tradeoff regardless of what you do.

Bob1nba

Reputable
Aug 10, 2019
If you are still "looking into" and aren't yet sold on the LL... consider the Fractal Meshify 2. It made Gamers Nexus best of 2020 and won best mechanical design... supports 360/420mm AIOs...

In mine I have the 360mm Z73 up top blowing warm air out... 3x 140mm's blowing cool air in the front... 1x 140mm doing the same at the bottom... and 1x 140mm blowing warm air out the back. The case also features front USB C which I believe the Lian Li requires an additional purchase on that.

Anyway, you said you were interested in good cooling options so I figured I'd mention this case as an alternative.

https://www.newegg.com/black-fracta...4PHFv0gHaYOPx6LCD48aAt7tEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

So you recommend the radiator mounted up top blowing out rather than in the front?
And it looks like the case comes with 3 fans, do you know if they are 120 or 140mm or did you purchase your own fans for the front, bottom and rear?

D

Deleted member 2838871

Yes that's the case... I have the white version. It comes with 3x 140mm's but I swapped them all out for 140mm be quiet fans. I'm sure the included fans are fine I just wanted all my fans to be the same.

As far as the radiator mounting/airflow setup goes...

There is no best. There will be a minor cooling tradeoff regardless of what you do.

This is true. My last build I had a 280mm in the front... blowing warm air into the case. I was kinda forced into that though because the case I had was small and only had 1 fan opening at the top... This build I specifically went for a bigger case and the Meshify 2 fit the bill. I went with the above mentioned setup with the rad at the top because to me it made the most sense... blowing warm air out the top and back... cool air in the bottom and front.

View: https://youtu.be/qTW2KHGzbM0

View: https://youtu.be/dhf97n0eqx4

I don't have a single complaint about this case. Good luck!

Solution

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Whether top or front mounted hybrid - it doesn't HAVE to be that bad... it all depends on the hardware config.
A few weeks ago, there was a user with an O11 XL + 3900X + Kraken X63(top exhaust) + 3090, and they were running into blue screen crashes due to thermals.
It was resolved with a rather peculiar fan setup - top and bottom intake, side exhaust - but it's not crashing anymore.
In that scenario: by itself, the 280mm is definitely fine for the 3900X, but there's more going on in a PC besides a cpu and cpu cooler...

Nothing beats doing your own testing. I wish more people actually did this, but oh well...

Bob1nba

Reputable
Aug 10, 2019

Which 140mm fans did you add to the case, I see a couple different Be quiet fans, some more expensive than the others. Also, could I just use the 3 140mm fans it comes with in the front, and add other fans for the rear and bottom? I'm guessing I could just order extra fans that are the same that come with the case right?

D

Deleted member 2838871

Which 140mm fans did you add to the case, I see a couple different Be quiet fans, some more expensive than the others. Also, could I just use the 3 140mm fans it comes with in the front, and add other fans for the rear and bottom? I'm guessing I could just order extra fans that are the same that come with the case right?

Yep... you can do it any way you want. Nothing wrong with using the 3 fans that come with the case and then adding extras... just be warned putting more than 1 fan at the bottom could be difficult. I tried two, but the wires from the PSU made that nearly impossible... I couldn't screw the PSU into the back of the case because the 2nd case fan made it such a tight squeeze...

l0vODZd.jpg

You can see the wires underneath the grating... so I just ended up going with the 1 at the bottom... 3 front... and 1 rear. The 360 rad with 3 stock 120's up top.

These are the fans I went with...

be quiet! Silent Wings 3 140mm PWM High-Speed, BL071, Cooling Fan

Given how big the 3090 is and the gap between it and the fans should give you an idea of the size of the case... as said, very roomy with lots of airflow.

P.S.

If you want the 3 that came with mine let me know. I'm not gonna use them.

Bob1nba

Reputable
Aug 10, 2019
Yep... you can do it any way you want. Nothing wrong with using the 3 fans that come with the case and then adding extras... just be warned putting more than 1 fan at the bottom could be difficult. I tried two, but the wires from the PSU made that nearly impossible... I couldn't screw the PSU into the back of the case because the 2nd case fan made it such a tight squeeze...

l0vODZd.jpg

You can see the wires underneath the grating... so I just ended up going with the 1 at the bottom... 3 front... and 1 rear. The 360 rad with 3 stock 120's up top.

These are the fans I went with...

be quiet! Silent Wings 3 140mm PWM High-Speed, BL071, Cooling Fan

Given how big the 3090 is and the gap between it and the fans should give you an idea of the size of the case... as said, very roomy with lots of airflow.

P.S.

If you want the 3 that came with mine let me know. I'm not gonna use them.

I would love the 3 that came with yours. Just let me know what you want. And I really appreciate your insight it has helped out a lot and I am going to order this case.

D

Deleted member 2838871

I would love the 3 that came with yours. Just let me know what you want. And I really appreciate your insight it has helped out a lot and I am going to order this case.

No worries man... glad to help you make a good choice. It truly is an amazing case.

Fans

That is a link to the fans that are included (black version)... they retail for $15 so I dunno... $20 for all 3 plus shipping? Doesn't really matter to me they are new in a box in my storage room and are of no use to me. :D

Bob1nba

Reputable
Aug 10, 2019
No worries man... glad to help you make a good choice. It truly is an amazing case.

Fans

That is a link to the fans that are included (black version)... they retail for $15 so I dunno... $20 for all 3 plus shipping? Doesn't really matter to me they are new in a box in my storage room and are of no use to me. :D

I think after reading some reviews that for the rest of the fans, the front, bottom and rear, which would be 5 fans, im just going to buy a little bit better fans than the stock that come with the case. Im putting together a good build so I'd rather not skimp on case fans.

Would you recommend the Be quiet fans your using? They are 26 a piece on Amazon right now and if I needed 5 its kind of pricey. Do any places sell fans cheaper of you buy a certain amount?

D

Deleted member 2838871

Im putting together a good build so I'd rather not skimp on case fans.

Would you recommend the Be quiet fans your using? They are 26 a piece on Amazon right now and if I needed 5 its kind of pricey.

Yeah I would... and yeah they're pricey. But I didn't want to skimp on case fans either.

Good luck! PM me the completed build!

Bob1nba

Reputable
Aug 10, 2019
Yeah I would... and yeah they're pricey. But I didn't want to skimp on case fans either.

Good luck! PM me the completed build!

Do you think I would be fine adding three 140mm bequiet silent wings 3 in the front and just using the two fans that come with the case as bottom and rear. I just feel like the front is most important to have the better fans. Because that alone would be 80 bucks for three case fans, that's pretty much half the price for the case lol.

Love the lian li quality.
Why go liquid when a good air cooler like the Noctua NH-D15s will do the job at half the price.
https://www.newegg.com/noctua-nh-d15s-chromax-black/p/13C-0005-001M2

Here is noctua's suitability chart for the 5800x:
https://ncc.noctua.at/cpus/model/Ryzen-7 5800X-1046

Two front 140mm intakes are all you need to feed it as well as a hot graphics card.
It is not clear to me if the fans come with the case or not.
Something in the 1200 rpm range will be quiet and you can go much higher if you need it.

With an air cooler, you get:
a) better reliability with no moving parts
b) quieter operation
c) lasts forever(aio will get air in the system eventually)
d) Airflow cools the motherboard vrm area as well as feeding the gpu coolers.
e) simple installation
f) air will never leak.

D

Deleted member 2838871

Do you think I would be fine adding three 140mm bequiet silent wings 3 in the front and just using the two fans that come with the case as bottom and rear. I just feel like the front is most important to have the better fans. Because that alone would be 80 bucks for three case fans, that's pretty much half the price for the case lol.

Whatever works for you.

With an air cooler, you get:
a) better reliability with no moving parts
b) quieter operation
c) lasts forever(aio will get air in the system eventually)
d) Airflow cools the motherboard vrm area as well as feeding the gpu coolers.
e) simple installation
f) air will never leak.

Nothing against air coolers I just haven't used one in quite a few years. In response to your points...

a) 4 years each out of last 2 AIOS, no issues
b) quieter? I guess? I don't hear anything out of mine
c) Eventually being long after you've upgraded for the vast majority
d) case fans do the same job
e) 4 screws for mounting AIO... a few more for the rad
f) never seen a leak either in the 8 previous years

So yeah... if you want air coolers knock yourself out... but lets stop making it out like AIOs are remarkably worse. As long as you don't skimp and buy one of the many cheap AIOs out there and instead go with a quality unit for more money as I've done... you will most likely never have a problem.

BTW, since OP is Ryzen I'd say go for the air cooler as well. I went with the AIO again because much like the last CPU and the one before that my current 10900k is also an ezbake oven.