[SOLVED] Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL - 5950x & Strix 3090 - Push/Pull Config - 13 fans. How is this setup?

Jashim Raswi

Honorable
Dec 9, 2014
Hey guys,
I built a new PC with 5950x, Strix 3090 in an Crosshair VIII Darkhero Motherboard. I have been using this for like 5 months now. I had a H150i Elite Capellix AIO mounted with 3xA12x25 Noctua on top rad as exhaust , 3xQL120 Bottom Intake, 3xQL120 Side Intake and 1 Noctua A12x15 as rear exhaust.
I straight noticed a high increase in idle temps in the 5950x even is stock settings reaching 50 to 55C. It never went below. My GPU was also getting very high temps in idle at 45C. My coolant temps were also very high at 38C. My room ambient is 25C btw.
Due to this I tried a different fan config and AIO mount.
I changed the AIO rad to side mount with with a push/pull config. On the back of the case attached to the rad, there are 3xA12x25 intake, inside the case attached is 3xML120 intake fans. Changed the top exhaust to 3x120 QL120 fans. Bottom and rear remained same. (See image)

View: https://imgur.com/a/IX5w3Ch

I immediately noticed a decrease in temp to 40Cin idle and not even reaching 65C in full load in Cinebench in 5950x. My GPU is not going above 65C full load.
Is this a good setup? Or should I swap the Noctua fans with the ML120 to inside the case? Should the intake rpm be higher than the exhaust rpm? What do you suggest it be?

Solution
There are very few chassis out there where optimal cooling is achieved by filling up all the optional fan/radiator slots available. Looks take over.

I straight noticed a high increase in idle temps in the 5950x even is stock settings reaching 50 to 55C.
Very, very normal for Ryzen 3000 and up. It's has to do with how these chips are made under the hood, etc.
Full load thermals matter more. As long as it isn't pushing 85C or more - idle isn't any less dangerous.

My GPU was also getting very high temps in idle at 45C.
Also not unusual.
Again, full load thermals matter more. As long as it's not pushing 83C+ on the core and 95C+ on the Vram - idle isn't any less dangerous.

I immediately noticed a decrease in temp to...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
There are very few chassis out there where optimal cooling is achieved by filling up all the optional fan/radiator slots available. Looks take over.

I straight noticed a high increase in idle temps in the 5950x even is stock settings reaching 50 to 55C.
Very, very normal for Ryzen 3000 and up. It's has to do with how these chips are made under the hood, etc.
Full load thermals matter more. As long as it isn't pushing 85C or more - idle isn't any less dangerous.

My GPU was also getting very high temps in idle at 45C.
Also not unusual.
Again, full load thermals matter more. As long as it's not pushing 83C+ on the core and 95C+ on the Vram - idle isn't any less dangerous.

I immediately noticed a decrease in temp to 40Cin idle and not even reaching 65C in full load in Cinebench in 5950x.
It's because you went from the radiator cooling off with the heat from EVERYTHING else in the chassis, to more directly cooling it with room air.

Is this a good setup? Or should I swap the Noctua fans with the ML120 to inside the case? Should the intake rpm be higher than the exhaust rpm? What do you suggest it be?
You don't appear to have any temperature problems, so set it up the way that pleases you the most.
What anyone else may say won't really matter at the end, like so:
Corsair QL fans are crap for cooling, especially on radiators and as intakes with any reasonable air restrictions, such as the bottom of the O11 Dynamic.
More useful as exhaust fans due to the weak static pressure; areas intended for exhaust usually have weaker airflow restrictions. These fans went looks >>> performance.
A focus on exhaust is always better. PCs are space heaters. It's more beneficial to get the heat out as effectively as possible.
^None of this matters anyway, because the thermals you've experienced don't present any cause for alarm.

Solution
Aug 17, 2021
Hi @Jashim Raswi ,

I am also planning for a similar configuration on O11 Dynamic with a Strix 3090 and a side PUSH/PULL rad. For you, did the exceptional thickness of the 3 layers of fans and radiators(together on the side) obstruct the full-length fit of the Strix 3090 in any way? Maybe it gets quite close to a relatively hotter air intake? The temps look quite good btw. :sweatsmile: