[SOLVED] Lian Li pc-O11 Dynamic with a Kraken G12 placement question.

Circa Survivor

Reputable
Feb 5, 2015
So I'm about to receive my pc011 dynamic and i plan on using a Kraken G12 with a corsair 240 on my MSI GTX 1080 Armor OC. The issue I'm having is where I should place the 240 for the gpu. I was thinking of placing it at the bottom as exhaust for the gpu, and having my 280mm rad for my cpu on the top as exhaust, and also having 3 120mm fans as intake on the side. Would there be much of a downside as putting the 240mm gpu rad as exhaust on the bottom?

Solution
there are differing opinions on whether to have the radiator exhausting into the case or out - some say it's only a few degrees difference so it's not a big concern. Personally i feel it's counterproductibe to extract heat from a CPU or a GPU into a liquid medium, then release it back into the case

I render quite a bit of video files - i had Handbrake doing a number of files, and i monitor temps while it's running, but i also employ ReatTemp as it gives me a small "widget" window displaying those temps as well as an alarm that sounds at whatever temp you set it - i set it at 85C

We maintain the house at 72F normally (i'm in Virginia, so winter is in full force). Core Temps on RealTemp were ranging 72C to 78C, with one or two cores...
this doesn't speak to your question, but a suggestion before ordering the radiators - check your user manual it should list the dimension limits (hgt, width and thickness). I barely caught the fact that my Fractal case had a width limit of 147mm, and the rad i was about to order was 153mm

WHile i doubt there's much that Lian case won't accept ( I drooled over it's sister, the PC011-AIR) it would save some grief to make sure the rads will fit where you want to put them

Circa Survivor

Reputable
Feb 5, 2015

Thanks for the tip but I already have the radiators at the ready, I'm just wondering if using the GPU cooler at the bottom for intake instead of say 3 120mm fans will be much different.

there are differing opinions on whether to have the radiator exhausting into the case or out - some say it's only a few degrees difference so it's not a big concern. Personally i feel it's counterproductibe to extract heat from a CPU or a GPU into a liquid medium, then release it back into the case

I render quite a bit of video files - i had Handbrake doing a number of files, and i monitor temps while it's running, but i also employ ReatTemp as it gives me a small "widget" window displaying those temps as well as an alarm that sounds at whatever temp you set it - i set it at 85C

We maintain the house at 72F normally (i'm in Virginia, so winter is in full force). Core Temps on RealTemp were ranging 72C to 78C, with one or two cores occasionally spiking to 80C. The wife bumped the house thermostat up to 74F, and within five minutes the ReatTemp alarm was sounding - it had spiked to 85C for a long enough duration (3 seconds) to sound.

Point is, a 2F increase in ambient temp, which is also intake temp, had a magnifier effect on CPU temp (i'm still air cooled but going liquid, just waiting for some components to arrive), but a magnifier of 5C on spike temp, and 3-4C on core averages.

I've got a temp sensor built into the computer case (Aerocool DS200), with the sensor hanging down about 5" behind the air cooler, back toward the front of the case. When house thermostat is set to 72F, temp on case is showing 20-21C, when thermostat is set to 74F, it shows 22C.

THe above is also with the case cover off the left side of the case.

Get a temp sensor, XSPC has a decent one with a LCD display for about $10 ( https://www.amazon.com/XSPC-Sensor-Temperature-Display-Black/dp/B06Y5PFDLX/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1546620790&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=xspc+temperature+sensor&psc=1 ) , and monitor interior case temps with the radiator set both ways, and see what affect it has on GPU temps

Just re-read your post - and i missed the focus of your post again, i'd put the GPU's rad in the front, exhausting out - i'd also make sure you have same number of fans blowing air into the case as out. which shouldn't be a problem for that case. On mine, i'm turning what was the orig exhaust fan at the top rear, turning it around to blow in, and fabricating a small shroud to direct it's air down onto the motherboard and VRM

Solution