News Lian Li 's SUP01 Micro ATX case mounts the GPU up front, touts 'Back to Future' rear connector motherboard support

pixelpusher220

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
The GPU temps should definitely be lower, but the CPU seems problematic. That air flow chamber has intake fans right next to the radiator exhaust both of which are sandwiched behind the mobo. Going to be *lots* of recirculated hot air there I'd think.

Dear case manufacturers,
Please design/produce more mATX cases. Nobody has needed ATX for almost the past decade.

45L though....Silverstone laughs. (would be nice to get an updated TJ08-E)

Last edited:
Reactions: pipsq33k

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
The article said:
The SUP01 contains three separate airflow loops, providing the front-mounted GPU and a radiator in the rear chamber with their own cool air supplies.
This is what I've been saying! I'm not sure you need 3, but certainly the radiator should have its own cool air supply, finally putting to bed the debate of whether to mount it at the intake or exhaust!

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
Dear case manufacturers,
Please design/produce more mATX cases. Nobody has needed ATX for almost the past decade.
I just bought a full ATX case, a few moths ago. It's definitely not true that nobody needs them. Manufacturers know how many of what case types they're selling.

Part of this is due to the awfulness of the M.2 form factor, for desktop computing. People wanting multiple M.2 slots will tend to gravitate towards larger motherboards. However, I think that's not the only reason for ATX's enduring popularity.

P.S. I did also just build a Thin mini-ITX case, next to which this micro-ATX case is positively enormous!

Also, I wish mini-STX boards & cases had caught on, in the DIY market, so that we could build our own mini-PCs rather than having to buy them as black box appliances.

The design seems mostly good, but flow through video card coolers will be blowing hot air right onto your DRAM. There is no direct airflow over the top part of the case either so it will be interesting to see how that impacts temperatures which can have an impact on stability at higher memory clocks.
The GPU temps should definitely be lower, but the CPU seems problematic. That air flow chamber has intake fans right next to the radiator exhaust both of which are sandwiched behind the mobo. Going to be *lots* of recirculated hot air there I'd think.
Those are exhaust not intake.

Reactions: bit_user
May 30, 2024
Dear case manufacturers,

45L though....Silverstone laughs. (would be nice to get an updated TJ08-E)
Still rocking my TJ08-E from 2012! Oh, my old warhorse.

Notton

Commendable
Dec 29, 2023
It's not a "micro ATX" case. It's clearly ATX. There are 7 slots on the back there.
45L is not compact. That's larger than your typical 18" carry-on suitcase.

It does have a small footprint, which is good.

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
Have a look at SFFtime N-ATX V2
Very nice!

Too bad it won't have a chance of fitting my CPU cooler. It's limited to coolers of just 59 mm, whereas my Noctua NH-C14S is 115 mm, even if you mount the fan underneath the fins.
: (

I'll have to consider other CPU cooling options, but I might need to pass this one by. Too bad it can't even fit the 66 mm NH-L12:

The other thing I'd point out is that my current case is positive-pressure with dust filters on the intake fans. This case is super-open, and would definitely want some periodic dust removal. My old PC had a heatsink that would clog up and required maintenance about every 6 months and that's an experience I'd rather not repeat (not that most heatsinks clog any more, but I definitely dislike "dust-trap" cases).

Plus, it has 5.25" bays. I forgot to mention that. It's basically the only case I could find that met all my requirements, at any price. 5.25" bays are getting rare, especially in smaller cases. However, if a case had everything else I wanted, I'd be willing to cope with an external optical drive.

Last edited: