Lian Li's Double-Wide PC-08 Chassis Features Tempered Glass Front Panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

smccloud

Reputable
Jun 17, 2014
No dvd is a killer for me.
And the intake fans should be on the side that needs the cooling, namely the graphics cards ad the cpu. Not the psu and hard drives.

USB
Some of us like having our optical drives inside our computer. I know I don't want to have to buy an external USB drive or a SATA enclosure for my current one.

As far as the cooling, if you're spending that much on a case, you're not using the cooler that came in the box. Water cooling would be ideal here taking the heat into the radiators then out the back I guess. There's room for monster tower coolers, but it really sounds like it's supposed to be water cooled.

Dan414

Reputable
Dec 24, 2014
You still need some airflow over VRM heatsinks, RAM, the northbridge chip heatsink, etc, and other things that you wouldn't normally connect to the watercooling system. I'm not sure that rear exhaust fan would be enough.

THis looks like it has poor airflow, the corsair design at least draws and exits on the same side in a large breeze across the motherboard. Not here, looks like you'll have some air stagnation and turbulence.

stoned_ritual

Reputable
Dec 23, 2014
It looks very nice (no duh, it's a lian li). I think the lack of cooling for the motherboard compartment would be offset by running a custom water loop, as there are great spots to mount radiators. You could still air cool this chassis, but I would like to see some benchmarks before making an opinion on weather or not that's a viable option for high end hardware. They could have at least included one or 2 intake fans on the floor for us air cooling folk.

kogut

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2008
And the intake fans should be on the side that needs the cooling, namely the graphics cards ad the cpu. Not the psu and hard drives.

USB
Some of us like having our optical drives inside our computer. I know I don't want to have to buy an external USB drive or a SATA enclosure for my current one.

Some of you shouldn't worry about buying nice new things, then. Keep partying like it's 1999.

USAFRet

Titan

Interesting that you think 1999 is 'old'. I have working laptops older than that. And use them once in a while.

Emanuel Elmo

Reputable
Mar 21, 2014

USB

Some of you shouldn't worry about buying nice new things, then. Keep partying like it's 1999.

You obviously are not a photographer and have no idea how many people still want images on optical drives.

I just delivered yesterday 10 DVD filled with images because that is what the customer wanted.

What are you saying, I should have just told the customer stop living in 1999?

You would fit perfectly at manager at apple. Next new computer we get rid of the screen. But sir.. people used those. Stop living like it is 2015. I am moving us forward to the future. nobody needs screen on computers. SMH!!!!

It sure was a party in 1999. Gas was like $1.25/gal. AMD had the Athlon and Intel had the Pentium III. Nvidia introduced its first GPU. EVGA, Thermaltake and TiVo were formed. The RIAA was suing Napster and I was burning CD's to keep those "huge" mp3 files off my 40 GB hard drives.

Now that 260 GB's of audio fits nicely on my 2TB storage drive. I still wouldn't give up my internal optical drive. I drive a 12 year old car and am still burning discs I haven't ever heard before.

Llorelie

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013
I guess the point is, if you need an optical drive, use USB, or buy a different case. There's plenty of them out there. I'm actually wondering why there are still 3.5" bays at all. Those are the next to go.

And before you say, "some people like storing lots of games/movies locally," yes...some people do. Other people don't. I wouldn't consider using an HDD anymore, or an optical drive.

USAFRet

Titan
3.5" bays? Among my two main PC's, 13TB in 3.5" HDD space. 1TB in SSD space (120+120+250+250).

Sporting that 13TB in SSD would be pretty problematic and expensive, especially for things that really, really don't need that SSD speed. Backups, movies, music, etc.
~1TB just in pictures (and edits to those) I've taken.
Cloud, you say? Naaa...I'll keep it here, TYVM.

Yes, I said it...:)
3.5" drives will be around for a few years yet.

PaulBags

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2015
NAS would be a nice way to go, but I already have sata ports on my motherboard so I can't justify the cost, especially with only two computers in the house. Besides, maybe I'm just dumb but I've never had much success with sharing/networking drives, I usually end up just using FTP. If MPC is happy to stream over FTP that might be a solution, although I might find myself needing to upgrade LAN equipment from fast ethernet to gigabit, another cost I can't justify.

PaulBags

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2015
Anyway back to the case, how about an extra wide with just one chamber? Would be annoying to work on, but you'd get your short-but-still-large case with all the same features (minus some eye candy), but airflow would be better without the chamber segregation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS