Lian Li's PC-TU200 Mini-ITX Looks Like a Metal Briefcase

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

I call BS on this. It doesn't matter whether you're an adult or a kid in terms of design preferences. By far not all adults like "simple" design and by far not all the kids like something "overstyled". And simple design is exactly what I hate on Macs... white, keyboard is disgusting. Basically, the whole laptop is just a round-corner lump of white aluminium. It's bloody boring and lifeless. Now, when I look at Asus VX series... that is some good design. Yes, Macs attract attention - but only they're different from all other laptops. Yes, I DO prefer MBP's design to some average HP/Acer/Asus laptop (95% of them look like garbage), but many laptops above $800 that people simply don't know about because they are - for some reason - not advertised, unlike Macs, have very good design that is definitely not "overstyled" and at the same time isn't boring.

Take a look at the NZXT Phantom case... looks "overstyled" to you?

HAF X? Dunno, I hate this case, especially with red LEDs.

This Lian Li case doesn't look "clean and simple". It's unique, beautiful and, unlike most of the "nice" cases out there, has actually useful features - notice the 140mm intake in the front. But it definitely does NOT look "simple". Not to me, at least.

Yeah, I'm an adult... kind of... :lol: But I have very good memory and not long ago one could consider me a kid, if you only count the age, and therefore I'll keep denying the age-based BS judgements - I know that age (as long as you're above 12-14, differs for everyone) has nothing to do with your design preferences, or any other opinions, in fact. Accusing people of being "kids" is the stupidest thing one can do when it comes to discussing something.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

You're more likely than not right in that judgement :D Many people want to build their own computers, but much less would want to build their own case - it's complex and rather unrewarding, IMAO.

cyberpinoy

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
would have been perfect if they make the handle removable and add a floppy drive slot (will not be used for obsolete floppy drive but for additional Card Reader drives).

halcyon

Splendid

Its not an accusation. Its a note that experience alters tastes. This is fact.

Same reason many kids like Barney...and many adults don't.

Lewis57

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2009
This is just like all other Lian Li cases. Cases that you want, and prices that can go **** themselves. I've been looking for a nice new case and I picked out one from Lian Li and it was £260...I'm not going to pay that for a goddamn case. I'd rather the cheaper/uglier/LED packed HAF X.

halcyon

Splendid
Lian Li charges a stupid premium for their design just like Apple. I don't think Al is all that expensive to use or work with. I do like Lian Li design though...just hate the price premium.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
That is because you don't understand manufacturing.
The design, workmanship, materials, etc goes into making the product.

$15 PC cases look like crap, cheap plastic, LQ metal that is thin and flexes, bad air flow... are nothing like a $200 case (Liean Li or others). When made right with AL, you can have a good size case with minimal flex yet very very light.

I'd say THAT $200 case is a bit too much for my budget and needs - but I'd say that its selling at market value. Important to keep in mind, quantity effects price. Many more people will buy the $20~30 cases (there could be a dozen model of the same case with only a different plastic cover) than a $150+ case. Less sales = higher costs.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]belardo[/nom]That is because you don't understand manufacturing.The design, workmanship, materials, etc goes into making the product.$15 PC cases look like crap, cheap plastic, LQ metal that is thin and flexes, bad air flow... are nothing like a $200 case (Liean Li or others). When made right with AL, you can have a good size case with minimal flex yet very very light.I'd say THAT $200 case is a bit too much for my budget and needs - but I'd say that its selling at market value. Important to keep in mind, quantity effects price. Many more people will buy the $20~30 cases (there could be a dozen model of the same case with only a different plastic cover) than a $150+ case. Less sales = higher costs.[/citation]

Very true. ...and I'm partial both to both Apple and Lian Li design. Have had several of both computers and cases, respectively. I still don't like the premium, but I do pay it.

fellskrazykayaker

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]Very true. ...and I'm partial both to both Apple and Lian Li design. Have had several of both computers and cases, respectively. I still don't like the premium, but I do pay it.[/citation]

I agree too that both Apple and Lian Li have excellent design. I have purchased many Apple products and several Lian Li cases for my PC builds. All of the items have been worth the extra money in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.