Library Issue in Windows 7

adamg1

Reputable
Jun 27, 2015
I know how this started. I wanted to be clever and I added folders to the default libraries, My Pictures, My Videos, and My Music, these folders on an external hard drive (H: ) that was usually plugged into the computer at all times. Then My Music library disappeared.
I realized I made a mistake and tried to restore the libraries to their defaults yet this seems to have no effect, or the opposite effect. I retired the original external HDD but every time a new drive is plugged in that Windows assigns the specific drive letter “H”, the folders appear as they would in the standard library structure, but sitting empty on the external drive.
Since this is a shared computer, external drives are plugged in and removed all the time, and if Windows labels it as “H:” drive, these two folders appear (My Pictures, My Videos) which I just delete until next time.

How can I fix this for good and prevent it from happening again? I’d like to use the Library feature if it’s worth it but how can I avoid these issues? Plus, where do the original folders go when they are added to a library? It seems I’m missing all My Music. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
Are all your files actually there, just not in the Libraries listing? If you look in C:\Users in the profile, My Documents, My Music, etc.. are there? Or did you move those also?

The original folders don't go anywhere unless you change their location. You can find the location of the item if you expand the library listing, right-click on the folders it shows, go to Properties and look at the Location tab.

adamg1

Reputable
Jun 27, 2015

Since I retired the old external drive, I've gone back and found that the original files are still there, just in different folders. I guess the only problem I'm having now is the appearance of these two library folders (My Pictures, My Videos) on any external drive which is plugged in and assigned the drive letter H:

Did you reset the Library and folder location to defaults? If not, Windows will load those all the time since it's configured to do so.

adamg1

Reputable
Jun 27, 2015

Yes, I've hit the Restore Defaults button and all it does is re-add the My Pictures and the My Videos folder on a non-existent H: drive.

Where to the file locations point to for those folders? Were they re-directed to H: ? If you right-click on My Videos, go to Properties, Location, is is going to the C:\Users\username folder?

Solution

TRENDING THREADS