Licences

sirdistik

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2003
Hi all,

Does anyone know if in a network environment you need licences for the server AND the workstations?

eg. if you've got 40 w2kpro computers.. you'll need 40 w2kpro licences BUT what about CALs?? When purchasing the Windows 2000 Server, you get 5 CALs with it. what does that mean?

Thanks Guys!

tdean

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
you need them for the workstations, then you also need them to connect to the server. (cals)

in your case youd need the 40 for workstations and 35 more cals if they are all going to be able to connect at the same time.

Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by tdean on 10/27/03 11:05 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
are they all connecting to server at the same time, if so why, and if not so, is 5 not enough? if you are in need to connect to DB or something, put it on one of the workstations, that way you can save some $$ on CALs.

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...

sirdistik

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2003
Thanks for your input.

But when you talk about all workstations connecting to the server at the same time.. The users all have their profiles stored on the server. Is this still counted?
Also, staff use a database called MAZE, up to 10 or more users are connected at times.

So.. lemme sum up.
I'll need licences for every copy on W2k pro installed on a workstation (which is obvious)
AND, a CAL licence for every computer that's to be connected to the server at any one time.
I thought CALs are free with every copy on W2k pro?

tdean

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
I thought CALs are free with every copy on W2k pro?

from what i was told, cals are part of the server pkg, not workstation.
i think youd need licences for the 2k ws and cals for the max amt of computers that would be connected at once. in other words, if you had a day shift and night shift, you wouldnt need cals for all of them. check out the licensing applet in 2k server, it might help.

Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.