[SOLVED] License Key Question

GUnit_Gaming

Prominent
Jul 10, 2021
Im buying a new NVMe M.2 soon and i want to move my 10 Pro off of the Sata SSD its on right now and onto the new drive. Id like to do a fresh install just to have everything new. My only concern is the license key. I got it from a friend who has a pool of license keys. When he had given it to me he said only use it once because it uses a key for every computer its entered on. That being said, would it use another key when I enter it again into the install process. Or would it just reuse the same one?

System specs:

Asus ROG STRIX B550-F Gaming (Wifi)
AMD Ryzen 7 3700x
Cooler Masters Hyper 212 Black edition
G.Skill TridentZ RB Series 16GB DDR4 3600mhz
EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 SC, Overclocked to 2.1 GHz.
Corsair CX 500w 80+ Bronze PSU.

WD Blue 250gb SSD
Seagate 1tb HDD (x2)

Windows 10 Pro

Last edited:
Solution
Reinstall on the same system, just a new drive....use the original license key.

Also, verify that license is linked to your MS account.

USAFRet

Titan
A fresh install on a new drive, in the same system, incurs NO license issues.

When he had given it to me he said only use it once because it uses a key for every computer its entered on
A valid license belongs to the system, and an MS account. Not to the specific drive.

No idea where your friend got these licenses from, but a valid license should have no issues with a fresh install on a new drive, in the same system.

GUnit_Gaming

Prominent
Jul 10, 2021
And yes I plan on getting a better PSU but currently i need to replace a dead hard drive. I lowered the OC on the GPU. The system has been running fine with the 500.

GUnit_Gaming

Prominent
Jul 10, 2021
As for the PSU...is that a CX Green label?

If so, how do you feel about gambling?

Same system just moving an OS from one drive to another.

He buys his keys in bulk from Microsoft directly. He's been an IT for 20+ years. Im going to school for IT work but ive never ran into something like this before.

He's a good friend and friend of the family. We have bought several PCs from him.

And yea its green label. I backed off on the overclock but even at the higher level i never had issues with it drawing too much or power drops.