News Life-Size LEGO Intel Arc Graphics Card Project Revealed

Giroro

Splendid
Once I saw somebody made a full sized Lamborghini out of Legos, but it cost more to build than a real Lamborghini.
Somebody spent a quarter of a million dollars and 6 months of their time on a fake model that accomplishes nothing except advertise a laughably overpriced toy brand.

It's such a pityable hobby and a waste of money and potential creativity. I just get really bummed out patents think their r like, a brain building STEM toy. But at this point, the whole business model is just FOMO dropping pop culture loot-box collectables for rich kids.

Once I saw somebody made a full sized Lamborghini out of Legos, but it cost more to build than a real Lamborghini.
Somebody spent a quarter of a million dollars and 6 months of their time on a fake model that accomplishes nothing except advertise a laughably overpriced toy brand.

It's such a pityable hobby and a waste of money and potential creativity. I just get really bummed out patents think their r like, a brain building STEM toy. But at this point, the whole business model is just FOMO dropping pop culture loot-box collectables for rich kids.

Such a pitiable hobby is (pardon the pun) literally the building blocks for many a child.

Some of the benefits:

Hand Eye Coordination
Motor skills,
Spatial Awareness
Planning/Problem Solving.

Don't be such a cynic ;)

zacharyphill

Honorable
May 12, 2017
Too much loose time ?
Goodness no, this is a side project apart from my usual work creating articles, designing press and retail materials, and representing Intel Arc graphics at events. The six months I've put into this have been very much on and off, with this project's progress mostly happening on evenings, weekends, and very rarely the weekday when there's time.

Some of the benefits:
Hand Eye Coordination
Motor skills,
Spatial Awareness
Planning/Problem Solving.
Glad you see the hobby in the same light I do! The skills I value as an adult I attest to endless hours building as a kid.
As for Giroro's business model assessment, The LEGO Group does indeed make lots of cool adult-oriented pop-culture sets but I feel zero pressure to "catch 'em all," especially with how costly large sets are. As Chris Pirillo and I talked about on-stream, thrifted or used bulk LEGO bricks are a great way to avoid that premium and give kids or adults ways to build those skills (and maybe a MOC - My Own Creation - to be proud of while they're at it!)
Plus the in-house LEGO themes (Ninjago, Monkie Kid, City, etc.) all carry a smaller premium for the same size set as licensed sets like Harry Potter, Star Wars, or many of the one-off Icons sets.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

Building Legos as a kid was one of the things that inspired me to become me an astrospace engineer.

Building Lego as an adult helps me connect to my kids as I help them build. It's a 1000x more interactive talk time than any video game.

Its a hobby of creation, like models painting and wood working.

[edit] Dang I hate phone auto correct. It makes me look like an idiot.

Last edited:

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
My sister once told me she thought it was pretty boring until she saw me start to create new kinds of spaceship and base designs, from my imagination. I really wasn't into any other creative medium, at the time. So, it was the first time I could dream up ideas and then get that gratifying feeling of manifesting what I had imagined. I remember even surprising myself, a few times, when I was able to create things as good as I had imagined them to be.

Later, when I started programming, I remember that same sense of delight, as I started to implement programs and code snippets I dreamed up. So, I guess you could say it gives kids a low-stakes way to experiment with their ideas and potentially fosters the delight of creation.

Legos are brain-building. They teach manual dexterity, spatial relation, and how to follow directions. I'd much rather kids play with legos than videogames.

Face it: kids are always going to have toys. What better toy than one where you can essentially build other toys? Then, as you play out imaginary scenarios, you're less limited by the toys you have. If you need some new piece to play out a given story line, you can potentially just build it.

These days, I think there are way too many specialized pieces. I don't love the brand tie-ins, either.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Building Legos as a kid was one of the things that inspired me to become me an astrospace engineer.

Building Lego as an adult helps me connect to my kids as I help them build. It's a 1000x more interactive talk time than any video game.

[edit] Dang I hate phone auto correct. It makes me look like an idiot.

LOL, I'm the same. I'm often answering on my phone while travelling to or from work. And then end up editing all my mobile posts to fix up bad typing/typos, when I get on my PC at home. DOH! :tearsofjoy:

Reactions: digitalgriffin
Goodness no, this is a side project apart from my usual work creating articles, designing press and retail materials, and representing Intel Arc graphics at events. The six months I've put into this have been very much on and off, with this project's progress mostly happening on evenings, weekends, and very rarely the weekday when there's time.

Glad you see the hobby in the same light I do! The skills I value as an adult I attest to endless hours building as a kid.
As for Giroro's business model assessment, The LEGO Group does indeed make lots of cool adult-oriented pop-culture sets but I feel zero pressure to "catch 'em all," especially with how costly large sets are. As Chris Pirillo and I talked about on-stream, thrifted or used bulk LEGO bricks are a great way to avoid that premium and give kids or adults ways to build those skills (and maybe a MOC - My Own Creation - to be proud of while they're at it!)
Plus the in-house LEGO themes (Ninjago, Monkie Kid, City, etc.) all carry a smaller premium for the same size set as licensed sets like Harry Potter, Star Wars, or many of the one-off Icons sets.

I absolutely loved Lego as a child (in the 70's - I know I'm old!!) I loved it for the exact reasons outlined. It was the basis for a lot of my dreams, and hopes. It brought out the creative in me, even when I wasn't the most creative. Building worlds, or vehicles or little towns out of many, many different sets, and the remnants of other sets really stretches and challenges the mind of a child.

I also used to love Meccanno! I remember building a yellow crane something like this: Top Race Metal Diecast Construction Crane Model Toy - Perfect for Boys and Girls or for Display : Amazon.co.uk: Toys & Games with my Unlce, who was about 7 years older than I was. These memories last a lifetime, and the skills learned have helped me along the way :)

Reactions: bit_user