Lifting 2008 sr5 Toyota Hilux

Combat Wombat

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011
Hi Guys,

Turns out the police don't like my r33 Nissan Skyline... so I went and bought a 2008 sr5 Hilux with 45k on the clock...

I want to make it look a little tougher, but there's one problem.. it's 2wd.. /sigh

What can I do to this car to make it stand out a little more? Rims will push the height up a bit.. but it's a 2wd so i can't put big types on it??

What do you thing guuuyz? Can I throw a lift kit @ it?

wip99gt

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2008
2wd isn't that bad. Lots of track and desert racers still use it. I've seen lots of 2wd trucks with lift kits, the thing to do is not make it look like a mudder. This a good example, not much of a lift but if they added 2-3" would still look good:
http://offroadracecanada.com/baja-north-builds-budget-prerunner/
I helped a friend from work install a 4" lift kit and baja fender flares on a F150 2wd and it did look pretty cool. He could get through a lot of crap with that truck as well. That was close to a decade ago now.

wip99gt

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2008
Another thing wombat. If you plan on actually getting this truck off road pm me. I like cars but am addicted to offroading. I have lots of experience with different makes of suspensions, tires, winches, etc. With living in Australia I imagine a 2wd will be awesome to bomb down some of those back roads and trails I've seen there.

Combat Wombat

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011
yea ok, I don't think I will be taking it off road to much.. I just want to beef it up a bit.
Maybe I should look at what wheels are legal to put on it so insurance will cover me if I crash.. also need a hardtop... I got it for a steal though so I don't mind spending a bit on it.

A f150 is not far off a truck, this is just a babe compared to a f150, if I get bigger tyres I will prob's need flares to make up for the overhang I guess.

edit*
This is what im aiming for:
http://www.myhq.com.au/car/world/365-my-toyota-hilux-and-arb-bull-bar-a-review.html

wip99gt

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2008
The guy on that link picked good parts. Old Man Emu shocks are pretty good, lots of people here in Canada import them in from Australia for their trucks. That doesn't look too hard to do. I love ARB bumpers but on that Hilux it doesn't look quit right to me. I could be the angle of the picture.