Light 01-08 tests, why so stressing?

eden

Champion
I am having a hard time understand why would having 8 light sources make the Light-08 scene in 3d Mark 2001, be so stressing on cards. I mean the scene is not that much detailed anyway! In Light-01 you got average 30FPS for Ti200s, but the scene is not SO much detailed.
If so, why do many games using hardware lights not suffer that much FPS?

--
Intel had 2.2GHZ Willies left...I bought one, it powered my entire neighborhood! :smile:

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
The light sourcing ads extra computations for every polygon, so 8 is about 8 times as much work as one. Also, that test is a high polygon test. It probably doesn't look detailed due to textrue maps (or a lack there of).

This is, however, simply an educated guess on my part. I know Raytracing is very computational intensive, and that is similar to what lightsourcing is trying to do on the fly.

I don't need an anti-virus program, I just boil my computer once a week.

FatBurger

Illustrious
I'd have to agree. The large number of polys make the scene smoother, not more jagged. So it actually looks somewhat simpler than if there were half as many, but it was all jagged looking. The high polys means that there's a ton more work to be done with reflections, shading, shadows, etc. (as bront said).

<font color=blue>Hi mom!</font color=blue>