Light at back of computer flashing after shut down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 23, 2018
Hi, I'm new here but have been reading the site for years. So I've joined to ask about the following problem I'm having:
My computer has an ASUS All Series Model (Intel) motherboard, sorry I don’t know the exact details as somebody else installed it for me a few months ago. BelArc says the main circuit board is AUSUTeK Computer Inc. H81M-PLUS Rev X.Ox. And I run Windows7 Home Premium 64-bit. The MB was installed about 6 months ago as part of a partial rebuild.
I have wi-fi and an Ethernet cable and I never turn the router off, so the lights on that are normally always on, although occasionally a red light shows it’s not using the internet.
For the last few days I’ve noticed a light blinking from inside the back of the computer after shut-down (a sort of amber/yellowy colour). I think it may be coming from the Ethernet position, and I do have a smartphone, again rarely used but always on, so maybe it’s trying to connect to that. As mentioned, the MB is about 6 months old and I’ve never noticed this happen before.
The computer is just a home desktop and the only peripherals connected are the monitor, router, printer, and speakers.
Not knowing exactly what’s going on, and worrying that my computer is about to die, I’ve been turning off the power to the computer completely after shutdown, although that doesn’t turn off the Ethernet connection, but it does stop the light flashing.
I’ve also noticed that when the computer is on the Ethernet cable is lit (an amber/orangey glow) where it connects into the port – something I’ve not noticed before.
No new hardware of software has been installed.
I read somewhere that constantly turning off the power button at the back of the computer would probably damage it in time because of the power surge each time I switch it back on.
I’ve been into the Power Management settings and see that the box “Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power is checked.” And also the next box “Allow this device to wake the computer” is checked. Should I change these? I like to be able to wake up the computer when it’s been idle for a couple of hours just by hitting the space bar and/or moving the mouse.
So, my question is if what’s going on is normal, or a sign of some problem? And, if it’s normal, then is it OK to leave it just as shut down without having to turn the power off completely?
I'll be back tomorrow to see if anyone can help. Many thanks.

Jul 23, 2018
Thank you. I just found it very odd that it only began happening in the last week or so, whereas the MB (and partial rebuild) was done a few months ago. So it's only now that I'm seeing it.

Vlp

Oct 21, 2023
I have a similar issue. A white light inside my computer pulsing slowly and regularly. Is this normal. We are not connected to a network but we do have home wifi.

Status
Not open for further replies.