Question Light gaming <= 700 CAD, possibly with two M.2 slots

DynV

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
I need a laptop for a 3D RPG/FPS from 2010 at medium settings <= 700 CAD (on July 16th '19 536.28 USD, see a recent conversion), any suggestions? If the specific game is needed, it's Fallout New Vegas. I saw a system that if you have two M.2 slots you can use an external GPU on it, the EXP GDC. So--optionally--for your recommendations, having two M.2 slots (so likely down the road I'll want to play a more recent version of the series, and at such point with a 2nd M.2 slot, I'd have that option w/o having to put it at very low settings, if that's even a possibility).

Oh! A large portion of the intended use is to be as a desktop replacement, so external display & peripherals. So if you think a suggestion would cut back on the embedded version of these, I'm open to it but please make mention of it (so I'd know which I'm making such compromise).

Thank you kindly

Last edited by a moderator:

Sagar_20

Distinguished
It's almost impossible to find two M.2 slots in consumer grade laptops.

Only some gaming and workstation laptops might have that and if you want to connect an e-GPU it would be a better idea to get some ultrabook with a Thunderbolt-3 port.

like Dell XPS 13, Lenovo Yoga 700/900 series, Huawei Matebook X Pro, etc

If you can up your budget little bit, i think Acer Swift 3 could be a good deal. It's a pretty light full sized laptop and capable of running much more demanding applications.

Otherwise, Acer Aspire E15 is also a decent option.

Last edited:

DynV

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
[...] ultrabook with a Thunderbolt-3 port.

like Dell XPS 13, Lenovo Yoga 700/900 series, Huawei Matebook X Pro, etc
These are quite out of my budget, it's just an optional aspect, so nevermind.

If you can up your budget little bit, i think Acer Swift 3 could be a good deal. It's a pretty light full sized laptop and capable of running much more demanding applications.
I found some refurbished ones in my budget but I'm having difficulty spotting the differences, perhaps you can help me. Until a couple days from now Refurbished: Acer Swift 3, SF314-54-52FB, Intel I5-8250U Quad Core 1.60 GHZ, 14" FHD 1920x1080 IPS, 8GB DDR4 RAM, 256GB is the cheapest one. I see that Refurbished: Acer Swift 3 SF314-54-57JC, Intel Core I5 8250U Quad Core 1.60GHz,14" FHD 1980x 1080 IPS, 8 GB DDR4 RAM, 128 have less storage capacity than both other versions. The final version is Refurbished: Acer Swift 3 SF314-52-58TX Intel Core I5 8250U Quad core (1.60 GHz) 14" FHD 1920x1080 IPS 8GB RAM 256GB.

Update 1: I found the one above with the least storage capacity in special Acer 14” Swift 3 (Intel I5/8Gb/128Gb SSD/Win10) - Manufacturer Certified Refurbished - Online Only, it's only 20 CAD < than the one in special.

Last edited:

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Keep in mind that in order to use external GPU via M.2 you'll have to get the EXP GDC itself (looks like they're 100+ USD for the m.2 version), a power supply (at least 50 CAD for a half decent one), the GPU itself, and likely a separate monitor. And I believe those adapters only run PCIe 2.0, so after all that you'll be hamstringing the GPU by giving it only 1/8 the bandwidth it'd usually get (assuming PCIe 3.0 x16).

If you can't tell, I do not recommend going with this approach. First off, ask yourself whether you really need a gaming laptop. Do you need portability? Is it an option to by a super cheap netbook for your mobile needs and get a desktop for gaming?

If you really need the gaming laptop, get the best one you can get today and then upgrade when it no longer performs adequately. If you're only playing old games that should be too hard to do even on a budget.

DynV

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
And I believe those adapters only run PCIe 2.0, so after all that you'll be hamstringing the GPU by giving it only 1/8 the bandwidth it'd usually get (assuming PCIe 3.0 x16).
I did not realize that, thanks.

Do you need portability? Is it an option to by a super cheap netbook for your mobile needs and get a desktop for gaming?
A large portion of the intended use is to be as a desktop replacement, so external display & peripherals.
Underlining just done.

If you really need the gaming laptop, get the best one you can get today and then upgrade when it no longer performs adequately. If you're only playing old games that should be too hard to do even on a budget.
That's why I made this thread; I don't know what are the best choices for my intended use in my budget.

Sagar_20

Distinguished
Technically, the Acer Swift 3 with 2 GB Nvidia MX 150 and 128 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD is a far better deal. You're not only getting the best entry level graphics but also more storage space.

If you can't go above 700, then pick the 1st laptop from the list. It's the same as the one you linked, but new. (not refurbished)

It should be able to run Fallout new vegas without any issue but not the newer games.

DynV

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
Technically, the Acer Swift 3 with 2 GB Nvidia MX 150 and 128 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD is a far better deal. You're not only getting the best entry level graphics but also more storage space.
I'm not sure if my queries are right but the ones I'm finding are almost double the price. You could suggest me models perhaps?

[]... new. (not refurbished)
Do I get a better warranty with the new one?

Moot point, the sale ended.

Last edited: