Light Gaming - Laptop Decision

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benis56

Reputable
Dec 13, 2015
Thanks in advanced to all answers. I'm trying to decide between two laptops and the biggest difference between them is the CPU vs GPU. They seem to be small differences but I can't determine which is better

Laptop 1
CPU: i7-6700HQ Quad core
GPU: Geforce GTX 950m 4GB

Laptop 2
CPU: i5-6300HQ Quad core
GPU: Geforce GTX 960m 4GB

I don't play anything really crazy, some blizzard games like Starcraft II. I also play games on emulators- Dolphin, PS2.

I think both would do the job but just wondering what I should focus more on, CPU or GPU in this case.

Thanks!

Solution
I would get laptop 2 as the cpu should be more than enough for the types of games you play. The both gpus should be enough for your needs. The gtx 960m is better than the 950m but for your games it shouldn't make that much of a difference.
I would get laptop 2 as the cpu should be more than enough for the types of games you play. The both gpus should be enough for your needs. The gtx 960m is better than the 950m but for your games it shouldn't make that much of a difference.

Solution
You could look at asus n series as they are made out of metal. The base is still plastic though but that shouldn't be a problem as it is facing the floor. The lid is also made out of plastic though. Don't know if that is any better than the acer you mentioned. You could look at msi ge range if you want.

Benis56

Reputable
Dec 13, 2015
I did look at Asus and almost picked one of those but I decided to go with that Dell. The reviews were really positive and should meet my needs.

Funny story- I decided to do an online chat with a Dell sales person to see if they could knock the price off since I have a discount through work. For some reason, they didn't have that laptop... even though they make it. He then tried to give me a touch version for the same price but it didn't have a graphics card which I told him I wanted. Then he told me that it would stretch my budget a bit but suggested I get the XPS which is $1500. I told the guy, doubling the price is not stretching "a little bit".

Anyway, worked out in the end but wasn't thrilled with that experience!

Status
Not open for further replies.