Question Light gaming small laptop/notebook

lambo7

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2013
Hi. I’m looking for a 13/14” laptop/tablet/notebook for general use plus light gaming (world of tanks/warships, LOL etc). I’m Looking new or 2nd hand for £400-550, so confused I’m seeing 950m, mx330 and a few Ryzen CPU’s with onboard Radeon 8’s all varieties. Please can some help as I don’t want to choose the wrong one. Thanks so much for any help.

There are a dozens of models you can pick from, especially when you are also looking at used models. For your size you are more limited since most systems with gaming class cards are 15" or 17" size. You really need to look at what is available in your area in your price, there is no single, or even 10, laptops to point you to. A Ryzen 5 based system will run the games you listed if you want a new one of those.

Aug 24, 2020
Considering your requirements, I’d like to mention some of my picks. Its purely my personal opinion and I don’t mean to offend anyone here. You could certainly check them out to know more on whether they match your personal requirements completely.
  • Acer Aspire 7 Ryzen 5 3550H GTX 1650 - £600
  • Lenovo V155 Ryzen 5 3500U Radeon Vega 8 - £520
  • Lenovo V15-IWL Intel i5-8265U GeForce MX 110 - £520
At this budget, these are the best picks from my point of view. Happy to be of any help whatsoever! Do share your thoughts on the same! Cheers!

Seaweed Monster

Honorable
Jun 7, 2014
For the kind of budget, you are realistically looking at Ryzen integrated graphics or laptops with low-end graphics cards (like NVIDIA 'MX' line up). However, for the light gaming you are planning to do that should be fine, but obviously to do not expect max graphic settings.

Below I have picked out two that will suit your requirements but are slightly above your budget, but worth taking a look at:

1. Lenovo IdeaPad Flex 5 14" - (81X2008KUK) £599 - LINK
    Key specs:
    • AMD Ryzen 5 4500U with Vega 6 graphics (Six-core processor, at a base clock speed of 2.3 GHz, and a boost of 4.0 GHz )
    • 8GB DDR4 3200mhz RAM
    • 256GB SSD
    • IPS 1080 display (14inch)

View:
    For a small and light laptop that can also run a few light games and is equipped with newer hardware, I believe this is a good option. Comes with a new 4th generation Ryzen processor with six cores, so great for multitasking and the Vega 6 graphics that come built-in is pretty decent too. Good enough to run the types of games you've mentioned quite comfortably at lower settings, depending on the game.

2. HP Pavilion 15-ec1001na £649 - LINK
    Key specs:
    • AMD Ryzen 5 4600H (six-core twelve thread processors, at a base clock speed of 3.0 GHz, and a boost of 4.0 GHz)
    • 8GB DDR4 3200mhz RAM
    • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 (4GB) graphics card
    • 256GB SSD
    • IPS 1080 display (15.6inch)

View:
    This is more of a traditional gaming laptop, so bulkier than the Lenovo, but makes up for this with a dedicated graphics (GTX 1650), which is much more capable of running games than the Vega 6 graphics integrated into the Lenovo. The games you mentioned above will likely run at high or maxed out, with more sophisticated games running at a medium or low, depending on the game.

The new 4th generation Ryzen 4600H processor is also a really great workhorse for multitasking.

Yes, it is above your budget, but would be worth considering if you are thinking of playing games more frequently.

Hope this helps!

TRENDING THREADS