[SOLVED] Light hash rate nVidia cards?

animekenji

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2010
So by now, most of you have probably heard about nVidia's latest attempt at getting cards into the hands of gamers instead of crypto miners. Do you think it will work this time? I don't think it will. It doesn't matter if they try to implement it in software or in hardware, millions of crypto miners who depend on these cards for their livelihood will find a way to circumvent whatever protections nVidia builds into the cards. We'll be seeing custom VBIOS files and drivers if they do it in software, or instructions on how to hack the LHR cards, if it's a hardware thing, and then we'll be back to square one.

Solution
And most of the cards that hit the market at that time will be all worn out from being run hard 24/7 for 2 years.

i’d have to agree with Phaaze88’s last post. A friend of mine has been mining crypto for a long time now, and his old radeon 79 something something and 5800 something rig is still alive to this very day, still mining cryptonight coin and ergo coin or whatever they're called together with his newer gpus… theyre all underclocked and undervolted when possible and kept in an air conditioned room.

i just couldn’t imagine having to shoulder the electricity bill when mining. Im having a hard time paying for my electricity as it is… just seeing his electricity bill gave me a heart attack once. Maybe i should try it...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
If it's on the hardware level like I've read, then it will be a little harder to crack, and perhaps discourage some miners away from it...
Unfortunately, the low hash rate doesn't do enough. Ethereum and it's alternatives have been shown to still be profitable with that in place. I don't know why they didn't aim for 0HR...
So nothing really changed - more gpus still equals more money. Not as much, but it's still a profit.

Then the 3080'TIE' and 3070'TIE' came along with higher price tags - higher profit margin per die for Nvidia.

Jmi20

Prominent
Jun 5, 2020
I really hope they would just let the cards be. Or at least just a software lock.

when crypto crashed in 2018, or was it 17… i was able to get a 1080 for extra cheap. Though i was a bit unlucky as it failed about a year later, but i digress.

But then again if more miners were to buy their gpus, when crypto crashes the market would be flooded with them. Therefore less people to buy new cards, less profit for them.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
But then again if more miners were to buy their gpus, when crypto crashes the market would be flooded with them. Therefore less people to buy new cards, less profit for them.
And that's something Nvidia wants to avoid, which is why they're trying to control the mining market at all; less sales of next gen cards. Turing must've stung.

They're a business - they're going to go where the money is, and they stand to make/save more money segregating mining and gaming cards, and reducing or eliminating that flood of cards that would pop up at the end of future mining gold rushes... at least until digital currency sees worldwide adoption - whenever that is(I don't see it going away).

animekenji

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2010
I really hope they would just let the cards be. Or at least just a software lock.

when crypto crashed in 2018, or was it 17… i was able to get a 1080 for extra cheap. Though i was a bit unlucky as it failed about a year later, but i digress.

And most of the cards that hit the market at that time will be all worn out from being run hard 24/7 for 2 years.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Some miners actually take good care of their cards and people have gotten some in good condition... doesn't change the fact that the gpus weren't designed with blockchain mining in mind, I guess.

Oh well, it's not like a heavily mined gpu isn't any more dead than a gpu that was run on a crappy psu, and the latter happens more than it needs to...

Reactions: dotas1

Jmi20

Prominent
Jun 5, 2020

i’d have to agree with Phaaze88’s last post. A friend of mine has been mining crypto for a long time now, and his old radeon 79 something something and 5800 something rig is still alive to this very day, still mining cryptonight coin and ergo coin or whatever they're called together with his newer gpus… theyre all underclocked and undervolted when possible and kept in an air conditioned room.

i just couldn’t imagine having to shoulder the electricity bill when mining. Im having a hard time paying for my electricity as it is… just seeing his electricity bill gave me a heart attack once. Maybe i should try it sometime, i got a gtx 750 ti here and i doubt it would bring my electric bill up as high as dogecoin or something lol. But, i digress again im getting off topic.

Reactions: Phaaze88
Solution