[SOLVED] Light pressure keyboard switches

Hmb556

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2014
Right now I have a corsair k70 which has cherry brown switches i think, but my fingers get pretty sore after a while from gaming on it so I'm looking for a keyboard with a lighter pressure for the switches. I know there's tons of switches out there so hopefully someone more knowledgeable can point me in the right direction.
Also this is probably the wrong section to post this in but I didn't see a keyboards option

Solution
I'd recommend trying Cherry MX Red or possibly Cherry MX Speed for ultra-light touch.

But I have to concentrate more for everyday use (everything other than gaming) with the Cherry MX Speed switches, my amount of type-o's has significantly increased with the Cherry MX Speed - so Cherry MX Red are probably a better choice, if you don't need the tactile "bump" on the MX Brown switches, since Cherry MX Red and Cherry MX Speed doesn't have that tactile feedback.

EDIT: (updated with link)

I should add, you can buy very cheap "test kits" with a selection of Cherry MX switches, so you can compare the feeling of each type, and help choose the right ones for your personal taste

They come with a selection of different MX switches, and...
I currently have a Corsair K95 (the first version) with Cherry MX Speed switches, and it is incredibly sensitive compared to my previous Roccat Ryos MK Pro with Cherry MX Brown switches.

The Speed switches are essentially Cherry MX Red switches, but they register the keystroke at 0.8mm less travel than the amount of travel it takes the Cherry MX Red switches to register the keystroke at.

Since I'm the kind of person who bottoms out the switches, eventhough the keystroke of any Cherry MX switch registers way before bottoming out (and you are actually not meant to bottom out mechanical keys), I've also put O-rings under all my keycaps to soften the impact on the fingertips when the key bottoms out. It has helped increase the comfort a lot, and reduce noise level slightly.

However, I did have a keyboard with Cherry MX Brown switches (Roccat Ryos MK Pro) before my current K95 with Cherry MX Speed, and I didn't feel sore due to the resistance of the switches, to me it had to do with the fact that I, as mentioned, have a bad tendency to bottom out the key presses.

Fitting O-rings under all keycaps helped reduce the soreness of my fingertips a lot, and it significantly incresed the comfort of the keyboards I have used it on.

I don't know if you possibly bottom out the keys, but if you do, you could try to fit O-rings under the WASD buttons (for example) and play a test gaming session to see if it makes a difference to the comfort of the keyboard, and if it possibly could help reduce soreness.

Maybe the switches aren't the problem, so it would be nice to save some money, if you are otherwise happy witht your current keyboard.

There are lots of O-ring kits available online, if you feel like trying it out. O-ring can be bought in different levels of hardness in order to "customize" how much the impact forces on your fingers are reduced when bottoming out the keys.

Hmb556

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2014
I currently have a Corsair K95 (the first version) with Cherry MX Speed switches, and it is incredibly sensitive compared to my previous Roccat Ryos MK Pro with Cherry MX Brown switches.

The Speed switches are essentially Cherry MX Red switches, but they register the keystroke at 0.8mm less travel than the amount of travel it takes the Cherry MX Red switches to register the keystroke at.

Since I'm the kind of person who bottomes out the switches, eventhough the keystroke of any Cherry MX switch registers way before bottoming out (and you are actually not meant to bottom out mechanical keys), I've also put O-rings under all my keycaps to soften the impact on the fingertips when the key bottoms out. It has helped increase the comfort a lot, and reduce noise level slightly.

However, I did have a keyboard with Cherry MX Brown switches (Roccat Ryos MK Pro) before my current K95 with Cherry MX Speed, and I didn't feel sore due to the resistance of the switches, to me it had to do with the fact that I, as mentioned, have a bad tendency to bottom out the key presses.

Fitting O-rings under all keycaps helped reduce the soreness of my fingertips a lot, and it significantly incresed the comfort of the keyboards I have used it on.

I don't know if you possibly bottom out the keys, but if you do, you could try to fit O-rings under the WASD buttons (for example) and play a test gaming session to see if it makes a difference to the comfort of the keyboard, and if it possibly could help reduce soreness.

Maybe the switches aren't the problem, so it would be nice to save some money, if you are otherwise happy witht your current keyboard.

There are lots of O-ring kits available online, if you feel like trying it out.
I do definitely bottom them out as I play, I didn't know that you weren't supposed to. I will try that out but leave the post open for other suggestions in case that doesn't help, thanks

Reactions: MadsModsat
I'd recommend trying Cherry MX Red or possibly Cherry MX Speed for ultra-light touch.

But I have to concentrate more for everyday use (everything other than gaming) with the Cherry MX Speed switches, my amount of type-o's has significantly increased with the Cherry MX Speed - so Cherry MX Red are probably a better choice, if you don't need the tactile "bump" on the MX Brown switches, since Cherry MX Red and Cherry MX Speed doesn't have that tactile feedback.

I should add, you can buy very cheap "test kits" with a selection of Cherry MX switches, so you can compare the feeling of each type, and help choose the right ones for your personal taste

They come with a selection of different MX switches, and you can then spend some time pressing the different ones, trying to zero in on the best Cherry MX-option for your personal preferences (you don't actually use them with a keyboard).

It's a good way to try several switches, instead of having to buy a keyboard based on description only, if you are not able to try different keyboards before a final purchase. It could save you some money in the long run. People have very different personal preferences when it comes to mechanical keyboards

Last edited:
Solution

Hmb556

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2014

They come with a selection of different MX switches, and you can then spend some time pressing the different ones, trying to zero in on the best Cherry MX-option for your personal preferences (you don't actually use them with a keyboard).

It's a good way to try several switches, instead of having to buy a keyboard based on description only, if you are not able to try different keyboards before a final purchase. It could save you some money in the long run. People have very different personal preferences when it comes to mechanical keyboards
Cool I'll check one of those kits if the o rings don't help, thanks