Discussion Light Tasks in Time

jnjnilson6

Distinguished
Let's say that your average Core 2 Duo with 4 to 8 GB RAM and Windows 10, harboring a video card not completely ancient, could do well for web browsing and Office applications and watching videos and movies. Now, the question is this:
If a CPU from 2006 could do this pretty easily until, perhaps, 2025, does that mean that a decent 2022/2023 one would be able to do the same thing in say 2040? Or will the Web Browsers and scope of commoner tasks have undergone such bouleversement that our current machines would by then prove incapable?

I am talking about lighter tasks of course. For example, taking an i5-12600K and above. How do you think these CPUs would perform the aforementioned tasks in 2040? Or will they be able to perform well even in the line of computations higher than the regarded herein?

Give your opinion - whether futuristic, harboring little collateral or simply a wild shot in the darkness, I'd like to hear you all!

Thank you!

jnjnilson6

Distinguished
Software is what counts.

A 2006 CPU, running 2006 era software will work exactly the same on release day, or 2 decades later.

Newer software will almost certainly be more resource intensive.
This includes the code running behind the scenes in websites.
Remember when people used Visual C++ 6.0 and when programs were written structurally smartly and were much more stable than today's software which programmers have to continuously delve into in the search of bugs and problems arising indefinitely and throttling down the code and making the software execrably big? ... When software was written simply and smartly and neatly and cleanly and the structuring was well thought out and strong.

I suppose programmers will just continue writing on unskillfully and for money and we'll never again achieve those opulent times of days begone. The world of software was a different world back then.