News Lighter, Smaller PlayStation 5 Cooler is Actually Better, Tests Say

Kamen Rider Blade

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2013
I wish there was a PS5 design that didn't have any thermal regressions.

For the SoC itself, the newer PS5 revision was more than 10C cooler, with temps dropping from 51.15C with the original model to 40.08C with the newer revision.

Despite the cooler SoC, there were a few regressions with other components. The new memory (VRAM) temps have climber by around 8C, from the original 40.88C to 48.20C. The VRM power delivery modules also saw a temp increase, where the new PS5 model runs at 46.32C compared to the older one at 44.97C

It's nice that the SoC dropped by 11.07°C, but the RAM going up by 7.32°C & VRM going up by 1.35°C isn't good for long term longevity IMO.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The new memory (VRAM) temps have climber by around 8C, from the original 40.88C to 48.20C. The VRM power delivery modules also saw a temp increase, where the new PS5 model runs at 46.32C compared to the older one at 44.97C
Isn't this well within spec though? These SoCs and memory chips can tolerate much higher than that, so what am I missing? Because it looks like Sony saved a few bucks and thermal operations are still darn good.

Reactions: artk2219

Kamen Rider Blade

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2013
Isn't this well within spec though? These SoCs and memory chips can tolerate much higher than that, so what am I missing? Because it looks like Sony saved a few bucks and thermal operations are still darn good.
Every Integrated Circuit can tolerate higher thermals than that, but long term reliability is proportional to operating at higher temperatures over long periods of time.

The 11.07°C drop is a giant improvement for the SoC, that's great and all; but the RAM going up by 7.32°C & VRM going up by 1.35°C isn't good for long term longevity IMO .

It'll be fine in the short term, the here and now; but I'm thinking long term, many years down the line.

Constantly operating at higher temperatures doesn't do any favors for the RAM or VRM portions.

If you want longer term reliability, you want everything to operate at the coolest possible temperatures that are practical.

But I'm sure somebody is already working on another hardware revision.

Maybe one where there is no Thermal Regressions and only improvements.

Last edited:
Reactions: VforV

artk2219

Distinguished
I wish there was a PS5 design that didn't have any thermal regressions.

For the SoC itself, the newer PS5 revision was more than 10C cooler, with temps dropping from 51.15C with the original model to 40.08C with the newer revision.

Despite the cooler SoC, there were a few regressions with other components. The new memory (VRAM) temps have climber by around 8C, from the original 40.88C to 48.20C. The VRM power delivery modules also saw a temp increase, where the new PS5 model runs at 46.32C compared to the older one at 44.97C

It's nice that the SoC dropped by 11.07°C, but the RAM going up by 7.32°C & VRM going up by 1.35°C isn't good for long term longevity IMO.

The temps are still icy compared to their thermal limits, even if the VRM's were running at 60C thats still well within what is likely a 100 - 110c spec tolerance (VRM's are made to run hot if they have to, do not let them run that hot long term though). The RAM is a bit trickier and very much depends on the chips they used. The DDR4 spec says that long term anything under 80c is fine, but errors can start popping up around temps as low as 40c with certain chips, and others dont see errors until 70c. I'm assuming they did their homework and got some chips that can handle the extra heat, but then im reminded or the RROD and the YLOD and it makes me wonder if we'll see some memory issues long term. It's likely just fine, but we'll see as time progresses, either way the 10c drop on the SOC is awesome and much more likely to keep the console working long term.

anemusek

Commendable
Feb 20, 2021
I have a strange feeling that the lower soc temperature is due to a performance limitation. We will wait for the tests

I have a strange feeling that the lower soc temperature is due to a performance limitation. We will wait for the tests
If that were the case, power consumption would've dropped. You don't have the same hardware perform worse if the power consumption remains the same. Otherwise, where did the extra power go to?

However what I find a little more suspect is the CPU's temperature is lower than the exhaust temperature. Granted the VRAM temperature went up, but in the old temperature listings, everything was above the exhaust temperature.