[SOLVED] lightning just struck near me

extraproblems

Distinguished
May 18, 2014
it's not storming yet, however lightning just struck near me and it sounded like it was right on me. I was in game at the time, and the game froze and I lost connection. however, my modem never lost signal. I called my parents down the street and their cable internet went out then came back on. my pc still works fine but no internet. there is no light near ethernet port. I have tried 2 cables. keyboard, mouse, headphones all work. I just built this pc in March.. did only the ethernet port fry and everything else works fine? is this possible? never experienced anything like this, I'm hoping someone can shed some light for me

Solution
I would say your modem is probably the culprit if you have installed a new network card.

The green light is just the indication that the modem "sees" the connection. If the transmit/receive circuit is damaged, it makes no difference if the light works...

extraproblems

Distinguished
May 18, 2014
yes the modem is working, it never went out. I even unplugged and reset modem and it's connected. I ran network trouble shoot and it's telling me to plug in ethernet cable. and it is plugged in. is it possible even though it's lit up properly the cable could still be out? I guess I should call isp?

extraproblems

Distinguished
May 18, 2014
is it possible only the ethernet port fried? I guess I should get a network card and test. just want to know if this is a likely possibility that this is what happened. if this is the case I'm thankful the whole mobo didn't fry

USAFRet

Titan
is it possible only the ethernet port fried? I guess I should get a network card and test. just want to know if this is a likely possibility that this is what happened. if this is the case I'm thankful the whole mobo didn't fry
Possible?
Absolutely. I had exactly that happen a week ago.

On the PC, just the ethernet port got fried. Also, the ethernet port on the printer.
A few other things around the house, but on the PC and printer...just the port.

A new $10 NIC, back in business.

extraproblems

Distinguished
May 18, 2014
I installed the network card and all lights are working. but I'm getting a "ethernet 3 doesn't have a valid ip configuration" error during the trouble shoot. I have reset the modem, but still no luck. not very good with networking, do I need to contact my isp? my nic did come with drivers buts a mini disc

extraproblems

Distinguished
May 18, 2014
well I was able to use the CD to install drivers but it's still not working. when I run the trouble shoot, it's telling me to plug a cable back in again, plus the ethernet 3 doesn't have a valid ip confif. but I'm getting a green light on the nic and the modem is lit up properly and online

extraproblems

Distinguished
May 18, 2014
could it be my modem? everything lights up properly and my isp says it's connected. after installing drivers, now when I run troubleshoot, the light on nic cuts off and I'm getting plug ethernet cord in. then after trouble shoot the light comes back on. I did the flushdns & netsh reset commands. I don't know what else to do

Jun 24, 2020
Yes, a chip can be blown in driver circuit of the ethernet. The modem will appear to work, but no transmission will occur.

All ports are dead? Usually there's more than one...

Jun 24, 2020
I would say your modem is probably the culprit if you have installed a new network card.

The green light is just the indication that the modem "sees" the connection. If the transmit/receive circuit is damaged, it makes no difference if the light works...

Solution

extraproblems

Distinguished
May 18, 2014
that's crazy if that's the case. and if I go buy a new one I will have to contact my isp to setup the Mac address I suppose. maybe that's what I will try next. have you heard of a modem lighting up properly and your isp saying I'm online but it doesnt "work"?

Jun 24, 2020
IF it is that only the ethernet transmission chipset is damaged within the modem, the modem will still appear to function normally to the ISP becasue it can see and communicate with the modem, but you cannot because you cannot communicate with the modem.

If you know anyone with a laptop, have them try using it on your modem. Should tell you pretty quickly if it is working...

extraproblems

Distinguished
May 18, 2014
UPDATE: the ethernet port did get fried and also the modem was messed up even though the lights showed it was working. I bought a new modem and did in fact need the NIC to connect. I'm back in business, thanks for the help, Kinora

TRENDING THREADS