Question Lightning Strike and No internet

rashadd26

Honorable
Nov 14, 2017
So basically about a month ago, Lightning hit close to my home and killed my router and now my wired connection on my pc stopped working. Also had a focusrite interface that has stop connecting as well. But all the lights still come on the interface and I updated the driver and still nothing. Keep in mind these things were working normally just like a day or 2 before the strike. Maybe I need a new motherboard or will i have to get another interface as well?

So basically about a month ago, Lightning hit close to my home and killed my router and now my wired connection on my pc stopped working. Also had a focusrite interface that has stop connecting as well. But all the lights still come on the interface and I updated the driver and still nothing. Keep in mind these things were working normally just like a day or 2 before the strike. Maybe I need a new motherboard or will i have to get another interface as well?
Have you had the service provider out to check your service drop? Their neighborhood equipment that feeds your home could be damaged by the strike too.

Are you sure your router works now? Can you use another device (laptop, whatever) on that connection in place of your PC?

Once you know you have good service up to the motherboard jacks then it might be the interface adapter is blown on the motherboard. You could get an add-in NIC to replace it. Turn off the on-board NIC in BIOS first. All you need is a free PCIe x1 slot, but the card will work perfectly well in an x4 or even x16 slot. If the idea of opening up the case and finding a free slot seems a bit too difficult you could also opt for a USB NIC.

Last edited by a moderator: