LIghtning Strike Killed my GPU

Mar 1, 2018
I was in the middle of playing Battlefield 1 when suddenly a lightning strike hit near my neighborhood. My screen suddenly went off but i could still heard the game still running. I restarted my computer but the screen is still off but i still heard the windows starting sound. when i change to my motherboard display the screen turned on. I have recently upgraded all of my component except my power supply, This problem happened to me 4 times that I had to change my GPU, first time is before i upgraded my computer and the second until fourth is after i upgraded my computer. I am using a power surge contact and a UPS but it doesn't help. I thought it was my power supply but I'm not sure. any suggestion?

my spec:
(after upgrade)
MOBO Gigabyte GA-Z270X-Gaming K5
RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 16GB
CPU Intel i7 7700K
GPU MSI GeForce GTX 1080ti Gaming X
PSU Thermaltake Though Power 650W

Mar 1, 2018

I tried it in my usual service center system it still dead so I'm sure it's the GPU

beinik6

Respectable
Nov 12, 2017
Well if the GPU does not work in another system, yes its probably dead.

Things you should do:
- If you still have waranty, try to get a replacement/repair
- CHANGE your PSU!!!!! A good PSU has a good overvoltage Protection and this wont happen..
- Also check EVERYTHING in your system, maybe some parts are damaged but not yet noticeable
- Cry, a 1080ti... dead... its such a good card.

makellosboy

Prominent
Oct 28, 2017

Hello mate, did you manage to repair your card somehow? My GPU died the same way last month.

Quality of power supply matters, as does the quality of any surge protector you use, as does the quality of a UPS you use. Don't assume all these things work the same as any other because they don't. This is especially important if you're using a computer where you know you'll have electrical problems.