[SOLVED] Lightning Struck, Now Monitor Won't Display

May 5, 2020
I was browsing around the internet while a huge storm was going on outside. My PC was plugged into the wall. Suddenly, a huge bolt of Lightning strikes the ground near my house and I hear a loud snap come from my PC. It abruptly shuts down after that. I unplugged everything and waited a few minutes. After plugging my PC back into the wall, fans spin and lights come on, but monitor won't post. I've been researching for hours for a fix but can't find one. I've suspected the PSU dying so I replaced it with one from my old system, monitor still won't post. I swapped my GTX 1060 for an old GT 1030 and my monitor came on for a few minutes just to go to the windows screen, then turns off. My system seemed to shut off on it's own after around 3 minutes of being on. I'm not sure what to do as I think it's a problem with my motherboard rather than my GPU. I refuse to believe whatever broke was my GPU as I don't really have the funds to replace it. Maybe the surge broke a PCIE slot. I don't know. Any help?

PC Part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/parakeetxd/saved/YV4Nqs

Solution
The psu although not the greatest should power that build. Regarding the rma, good luck, if it was a power surge that broke the board might they well spot that.

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
Sorry to hear this happened to you, it’s a costly mistake you just learned about surge protectors and how important they are.

My personal preference is Tripp Lite surge protectors, particularly the ones with the auto shutoff when they are no longer capable of protecting your device. I’d rather replace the surge immediately than risk the equipment their connected to. I’ve checked on a surge I was using before to notice it was no longer providing protection but still powering my devices like nothing was wrong which is when I switch to theses. They also make a small 3 outlet travel surge with the same shutoff which brought me piece of mind during a bad storm on a trip when I had to power some electronics.

Could be multiple parts, try isolating things for now. Turning on with no GPU and seeing if it will shutoff, etc. Also try the other pcie x16 slot, than the pcie x1 slots.

Last edited:
May 5, 2020
I've tried booting with integrated graphics but the montior still won't post. But when my monitor does sometimes decide to post randomly, it's extremely delayed from when I powered on my pc, like 25 seconds after.

Mar 26, 2020
I've tried booting with integrated graphics but the montior still won't post. But when my monitor does sometimes decide to post randomly, it's extremely delayed from when I powered on my pc, like 25 seconds after.
This might seem pretty obvious but have you tried a different monitor?

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
See now that you already tried the igpu, so probably means motherboard or cpu is shot. If you have a shop near you that can test for which one go there. Otherwise would i try another motherboard first since occasionnally it will try to work.

Checked ram btw? Since having two sticks one at a time.

Last edited:
May 5, 2020
Alright so i figured out what was wrong with my PC. So the surge broke both my GPU and the hdmi cable that went from it to the monitor. I'm not sure if the monitor's hdmi port itself is broken too or not. The surge also broke my on board ethernet port, so i'll be ordering a pci ethernet card for that. My question is, anyone know a good place to fix up my GPU? It's fans spin and lights come on so that's telling me it's not all the way dead, just that it won't display. I'm forced to use my old GT 1030 now and I just can't go back. Any help will be great. (y)