Jun 13, 2014
Hi folks,

So I just finished a new build. Here are the specs:
ROG Strix B450-F
AMD Ryzen 7 3800x
MSI Ventus RTX 2070 Super
Corsair Vengence LPX DDR4 2x16
Corsair TW750W

I've tried everything I can reasonably think of/find and I haven't gotten any results. My lights and fans come on, including the power indicator on the MOBO and the GPU fans when I've got the GPU plugged in. I've removed and replaced everything, taken it out piece by piece, reset the MOBO battery, but I still can't even get to POST, let alone BIOS. I'm stumped so I'm coming to you for advice. The PSU is nearly a decade old, but it was doing just fine on my last rig, plus I am getting power, so I just have no idea. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
being so old, does the eatx 8 pin power cable exist on that psu? did you connected that connector on the top of the motherboard?

it doesn't harm if you can take a picture of the motherboard, specially how you connected the cables to the motherboard and share it here with us

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Have you confirmed the B450-F's BIOS has been updated to support 3000 series CPUs? Out of the box, unless it's been confirmed as updated, a B450 board supports 1000 series and 2000 series CPUs.

I don't believe the B450-F has any option to update the BIOS without a compatible CPU installed...

Reactions: DMAN999

ThePromise

Honorable
Jun 13, 2014
Have you confirmed the B450-F's BIOS has been updated to support 3000 series CPUs? Out of the box, unless it's been confirmed as updated, a B450 board supports 1000 series and 2000 series CPUs.

I don't believe the B450-F has any option to update the BIOS without a compatible CPU installed...
It says right on the box, in nice bold print, that it's 3rd gen ready. Indeed, it doesn't mention the 1000 series, just the 2 and 3. Though it doesn't mention the 3rd gen anywhere on back on the actual spec, just 2nd Gen. I'm looking into it.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
AFAIK, the "3rd Gen Ready" is a sticker than retailers apply.... although later releases from the factory should support 3rd Gen out of the box.

With what you've described, it sounds like it doesn't - but the fact the box states so is interesting. If it's a sticker (ie not applied from the factory), perhaps the retailer messed up and didn't actually update the BIOS for this specific board.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Impossible to troubleshoot without another compatible CPU to check, I'm afraid.

Might be worth speaking to the retailer, most will flash a BIOS for minimal cost anyway - and if you bought it there and are having issues, I wouldn't expect it to cost anything at all.

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
being so old, does the eatx 8 pin power cable exist on that psu? did you connected that connector on the top of the motherboard?

it doesn't harm if you can take a picture of the motherboard, specially how you connected the cables to the motherboard and share it here with us

Solution

ThePromise

Honorable
Jun 13, 2014

It does. I didn't connect it, but I will certainly try it before I buy a new motherboard. I think it's a problem with my BIOS not being up to date, but I'll give it a shot.

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
if you don't connect the eatx 8 pin power cable to the motherboard, the cpu will not get power and it will not work, at all, you need to plug that one

your psu has a 24 pin power cable or is a 20 + 4 pin? you need to connect al 24 pins on that side of the motherboard

ThePromise

Honorable
Jun 13, 2014
Yeah, I put the eight pin in at the top and I got it up and running. I've got a white POST light, which I am working on resolving.

Also, all of my 6-pins have two optional pins. It's an old PSU, but it was a really nice one at the time. lol