[SOLVED] Lights on, Fans spinning, no signal but worked yesterday

Relatyvity

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2015
I'm somewhere between angry and confused.
Yesterday I was working on my PC, watched a movie, went to sleep. Today I woke up, turned it on - No signal.

Hard reset -> nothing. Power cycle -> nothing.

Specs:
INNO3D RTX 4090
EVGA 1000GT 80Plus gold full modular
ASUS B350Plus Gaming mobo
Ryzen 9 5950x
G.Skill Trident Z 4x8GB (4133mGHz capable but running 3000, as that's where it seems stable)

What I have confirmed:
The cable and the monitor are good (I have a work-notebook and the same cable-monitor combo works from that.)
The PSU is probably also good (I have a 700w BeQuiet! PSU, that has been out of the system for a few weeks now, and it refuses to POST with that as well)
GPU is probably good (Checked with a relative's 1050, still refuses to POST, I also only bought it 2 weeks ago - no damage or melting on the 12v connector)
CPU has no visible damage, no discoloration on the heatspreader and the pins are straight.

I also found the little on-board speaker attachment for the beep codes:
Before I've put the speaker on, with all the ram sticks in, the GPU fans would spin up and the light on the side was white. Now with the speaker on, the light is blinking red and get the following beep code: 1 long 3 shorts pause 1 short which is... Not sure, I couldn't really find consesus. Maybe GPU, maybe not
My best guess is that the PCI-E slot might have been damaged, due to running a 3080 and now a 4090 hanging off of it, but they were both screwed into the case, and had a plastic "arm" holding the corner on both. It doesn't seem loose either.

Do you guys have any other guesses?
I will go over to a relative's house tonight who has an AM4 based system, hopefully we can test some parts.

I'm somewhere between angry and confused.
Yesterday I was working on my PC, watched a movie, went to sleep. Today I woke up, turned it on - No signal.

Hard reset -> nothing. Power cycle -> nothing.

Specs:
INNO3D RTX 4090
Ryzen 9 5950x
G.Skill Trident Z 4x8GB (4133mGHz capable but running 3000, as that's where it seems stable)

What I have confirmed:
The cable and the monitor are good (I have a work-notebook and the same cable-monitor combo works from that.)
The PSU is probably also good (I have a 700w BeQuiet! PSU, that has been out of the system for a few weeks now, and it refuses to POST with that as well)
GPU is probably good (Checked with a relative's 1050, still refuses to POST, I also only bought it 2 weeks ago - no damage or melting on the 12v connector)
CPU has no visible damage, no discoloration on the heatspreader and the pins are straight.

I also found the little on-board speaker attachment for the beep codes:
Before I've put the speaker on, with all the ram sticks in, the GPU fans would spin up and the light on the side was white. Now with the speaker on, the light is blinking red and get the following beep code: 1 long 3 shorts pause 1 short which is... Not sure, I couldn't really find consesus. Maybe GPU, maybe not
My best guess is that the PCI-E slot might have been damaged, due to running a 3080 and now a 4090 hanging off of it, but they were both screwed into the case, and had a plastic "arm" holding the corner on both. It doesn't seem loose either.

I will go over to a relative's house tonight who has an AM4 based system, hopefully we can test some parts.
Did you try GPU in other PCIe slot ?

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador

This is how hardware dies. Works on one day, doesn't work another day. Or did you expect it to behave differently?

Specs:
INNO3D RTX 4090
Ryzen 9 5950x

High-end CPU, 1kW PSU, overpriced RAM (since your MoBo can ever handle 3200 Mhz max), beyond insanity expensive GPU... but sub-par MoBo. Why? :??: Why did you cheap out on MoBo?

My best guess is that the PCI-E slot might have been damaged

Your MoBo has more than one PCI-E x16 slot. What stops you trying the 2nd PCI-E slot your MoBo has?

Symptoms indicate dead MoBo. Which is quite reasonable, since you cheaped out on it.

Relatyvity

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2015
This is how hardware dies. Works on one day, doesn't work another day. Or did you expect it to behave differently?

High-end CPU, 1kW PSU, overpriced RAM (since your MoBo can ever handle 3200 Mhz max), beyond insanity expensive GPU... but sub-par MoBo. Why? :??: Why did you cheap out on MoBo?

Your MoBo has more than one PCI-E x16 slot. What stops you trying the 2nd PCI-E slot your MoBo has?

Symptoms indicate dead MoBo. Which is quite reasonable, since you cheaped out on it.
You assume I cheaped out on it, but that's not really the case.
The mobo is the last remaining piece of the system I've put together in 2017, with a ryzen 7 1700 and a 1060 back then. Didn't see a reason to replace it as it has been with me since new, and was forward compatible with the 5950x I bought last december.
I didn't put this together all at once, just sowly upgraded when I had the money. I work and study from this thing so it made sense to put a lot of money in it.
As mentioned in my previous reply, even the 1050 won't clear the case connectors at the bottom of the board, but I might try to diconnect everything other then the power button and see if i can put it in.

Relatyvity

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2015
That 5950 is pretty high load on that VRM, I would suspect it too.
Faulty RAM can also prevent display and POST/BOOT, maybe you can try old RAM switcheroo, One stick in each slot (starting with B2) with CMOS clear between the tries.
Hmm, yeah I will try that.
But doesn't RAM has it's own specific beep code? Or does that only apply if it's not detected at all?

But doesn't RAM has it's own specific beep code? Or does that only apply if it's not detected at all?
Should have some beep code but unless you can find what which beep set means what it's useless.

I just googled "asus beep error cod" and found this

Relatyvity

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2015
Should have some beep code but unless you can find what which beep set means what it's useless.

I just googled "asus beep error cod" and found this
I found that one too, but there is one thing I that didn't occur to me. Maybe the pump in the watercooler has an issue... When I place my hand on it it feels like it's working, but maybe not, that should also be 1 long 4 short. I still have the "flower" cooler from the R7 1700, see if hooking that up works...

I found that one too, but there is one thing I that didn't occur to me. Maybe the pump in the watercooler has an issue... When I place my hand on it it feels like it's working, but maybe not, that should also be 1 long 4 short. I still have the "flower" cooler from the R7 1700, see if hooking that up works...
Try first any fan in CPU_FAN header, most MB will not boot unless the detect fan in there.

Relatyvity

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2015
Ok, so I appreciate your help, both of you ended up being correct first time around.
The 4090 was a no-go, but im naged to cram the 1050 into the lower slot, and it booted right up. The pump is functional, so that's a releife.
Guess I'll have to retire this board and find a new one.

Thak you again. :)

TRENDING THREADS