Lightweight 15-inch laptops notebooks

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I'm seeking to replace a 3-year old Macbook Pro (15 inches). I've done some googling and searching of this forum, and (pardon my relative ignorance of the PC laptop market) it looks like many of the 15 inch laptops on the market (e.g. Dell Studio, many of the HP's I looked at, the ASUS's I saw in the store) are larger or heavier than the old macbook pro (14.1 x 9.6 x 1 inch, 5.2 lbs). I'd like to go the same weight or lighter, but stay in the 14-15 inch screen size, since this will be my only computer. It may be that what I am looking for does not exist in the $1000 market.

1_What is your budget?

Around $1000

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

14-15 inch screen, preferably weighing less than or equal to 5.2 lbs.

3_What screen resolution do you want?

At least 1440x900, like my current computer. I'm annoyed by the spread of x768.

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

Looking for light weight, but decent enough to be my only computer.

5_How much battery life do you need?

3 hours web browsing and office work minimum; longer is better. This macbook spoiled me (5 hours).

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

I do not play games on my laptop.

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)

Watching movies, streaming video from hulu/netflix. Option to drive a large external display. Light computer programming.

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?

At least 160 GB.

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?

Two-three years.

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

No internal optical drive, or DVD DL writer.

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

Any brand except Lenova. (Might have to take computer to work; that brand is not allowed in the building.)

13_What country do you live in?

USA Mainland.

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed.

I hope I'm not the only one looking for this type of notebook/laptop.

IsabellaWinTeam

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
I'm seeking to replace a 3-year old Macbook Pro (15 inches). I've done some googling and searching of this forum, and (pardon my relative ignorance of the PC laptop market) it looks like many of the 15 inch laptops on the market (e.g. Dell Studio, many of the HP's I looked at, the ASUS's I saw in the store) are larger or heavier than the old macbook pro (14.1 x 9.6 x 1 inch, 5.2 lbs). I'd like to go the same weight or lighter, but stay in the 14-15 inch screen size, since this will be my only computer. It may be that what I am looking for does not exist in the $1000 market.

1_What is your budget?

Around $1000

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

14-15 inch screen, preferably weighing less than or equal to 5.2 lbs.

3_What screen resolution do you want?

At least 1440x900, like my current computer. I'm annoyed by the spread of x768.

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

Looking for light weight, but decent enough to be my only computer.

5_How much battery life do you need?

3 hours web browsing and office work minimum; longer is better. This macbook spoiled me (5 hours).

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

I do not play games on my laptop.

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)

Watching movies, streaming video from hulu/netflix. Option to drive a large external display. Light computer programming.

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?

At least 160 GB.

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?

Two-three years.

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

No internal optical drive, or DVD DL writer.

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

Any brand except Lenova. (Might have to take computer to work; that brand is not allowed in the building.)

13_What country do you live in?

USA Mainland.

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed.

I hope I'm not the only one looking for this type of notebook/laptop.

Hi there,

You should check out the Asus UL80Vt-A1. It has a 14" screen and weighs 4.4 lbs. It is also within your budget at $744. It will perform well for the tasks that you described. What do you think of the Asus?

Cheers,
Isabella
MSFT Windows Outreach Team

G

Hi there,

You should check out the Asus UL80Vt-A1. It has a 14" screen and weighs 4.4 lbs. It is also within your budget at $744. It will perform well for the tasks that you described. What do you think of the Asus?

Cheers,
Isabella

Thanks, Isabella. That is an interesting selection -- light weight like a netbook, but with a decent sized screen like a notebook. I don't think it is for me, though: it looks like it is an even slower processor than my 3-year old macbook pro (I realize this what makes the battery life magic work). You're right, I'm not doing anything that requires much more processor than that, but it seems a little risky to me to downgrade my processing power in a world of increasingly complex operating systems and office software. I've been burned that way before in the past (that is, forced to prematurely upgrade the computer just to run the operating system rather than to give new functionality). I'm still thinking about it, though. That s a pretty good laptop.

IsabellaWinTeam

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
Hi there,

Cheers,
Isabella

Thanks, Isabella. That is an interesting selection -- light weight like a netbook, but with a decent sized screen like a notebook. I don't think it is for me, though: it looks like it is an even slower processor than my 3-year old macbook pro (I realize this what makes the battery life magic work). You're right, I'm not doing anything that requires much more processor than that, but it seems a little risky to me to downgrade my processing power in a world of increasingly complex operating systems and office software. I've been burned that way before in the past (that is, forced to prematurely upgrade the computer just to run the operating system rather than to give new functionality). I'm still thinking about it, though. That s a pretty good laptop.

Hi there,

If you are willing to consider a slightly larger screen and a slightly heavier laptop you should check out the Dell Studio 15. It has a 15.6" screen and weights 5.5 lbs. However, it has a 2.13 GHz Intel® Core™ i3-330M processor, 4 GB of RAM, and 500 GB of hard drive space.

What do you think?

Isabella

Status
Not open for further replies.