Question Lightweight but not very cool Dell laptop

bhdavis2

Honorable
Apr 2, 2018
I'm replacing my about 5 year old Dell Inspiron i7 laptop. It's plenty fast and efficient but it weighs about 6.5 lbs and gets too warm on the bottom. I'm using this laptop now more and more on my lap instead of on a desk surface. With the heavy weight and heat and short battery life of 1.5 hours it's just time to upgrade.

I bought a Dell Inspiron 15 5000 with the I7 8565 processor. It arrived a couple of days ago and is a pretty decent laptop with one exception: it is too damn hot. The ventilation is on the bottom of the laptop which means it blows the heat on your legs when you are using it in your lap. Also when you set it in your lap you are at least partially blocking the ventilation slots which I would think could lead to overheating.

I find this to be a big disappointment. I'm wondering if this bottom ventilation design is being used by most manufacturers now. And if so have others done a better job of keeping the heat off one's legs and the slots free and clear when using the computer on your lap. I'm going to talk with Dell tech support tomorrow and see what they have to say. My guess is I'll be sending this back.

Thanks for the input.

BH

Ralston18

Titan
This:

"I'm going to talk with Dell tech support tomorrow and see what they have to say."

Do some research before you call Dell.

Google the 15 5000 for reviews, FAQs, Forum questions etc..

Determine if anyone else is reporting or complaining about similar heat problems.

If not then is quite likely that your laptop has a problem.

Have some facts on hand to refute any "that's normal" responses.

A laptop too hot for actual laptop use is not normal....

I personally would not place ANY laptop directly on top of my lap. I use a pad like THIS. Not just for comfort but allows proper ventilation to laptop

Don't quote me, but laptops with vent on the bottom should be for intakes, and fan's exhaust should be at the sides and most typically rear.