Prominent
Nov 11, 2018
Hi!
I have and old laptop with specs as follows
T7200 core 2 duo @ 2ghz
2gb ddr2 ram
Gma9500
And a very crappy hdd.
Can u recommend me a linux distro for this laptop. I just can't get w10 to function smooth enough and I only need it for basic tasks.
I have come across lubuntu which is my top preference as of yet. Do you have any other suggestions. I am looking for something with better and easy UI. And as I said earlier only need it for media or office tasks.
Thanks!

Solution
Hi!
T7200 core 2 duo @ 2ghz
2gb ddr2 ram
Gma9500
And a very crappy hdd.
Can u recommend me a linux distro for this laptop. I just can't get w10 to function smooth enough and I only need it for basic tasks.
I have come across lubuntu which is my top preference as of yet. Do you have any other suggestions. I am looking for something with better and easy UI. And as I said earlier only need it for media or office tasks.
Thanks!

xubuntu is a derivative of the Ubuntu operating system that uses the XFCE UI. XFCE is one of my favourite desktop environments, it's lightweight, very fast, and incredibly stable.

I'm not a fan of Ubuntu, but it's a good all-around desktop OS that doesn't require...

Dave8671

Distinguished
Linux mint is a good option though I suggest using Xfce for a system with 2GB ram. It will need less ram than Cinnamon or Mate Desktops. I use Cinnamon on my laptop it uses 573MB ram just setting there. Xfce would use at most 400MB maybe less ram when its running.

To check how much you system is using open an terminal and type this command

free -h

and press enter

Reactions: mkaafy
Hi!
T7200 core 2 duo @ 2ghz
2gb ddr2 ram
Gma9500
And a very crappy hdd.
Thanks!

xubuntu is a derivative of the Ubuntu operating system that uses the XFCE UI. XFCE is one of my favourite desktop environments, it's lightweight, very fast, and incredibly stable.

I'm not a fan of Ubuntu, but it's a good all-around desktop OS that doesn't require a lot of messing around

Solution
I'd sincerely suggest Linux Lite as it's tailored towards new Linux users. It kind of lies in same basket as Linux Mint as both are very good alternatives for new users.
If you cannot decide, fortunately you can make a bootable ISO image (to burn on a dvd or formatting a usb stick to) to test the desktop before you decide to install.