News Lightweight Windows 11 Runs Entirely in GPU's VRAM

Colif

Win 11 Master
I have to assume its got some storage apart from VRAM as one problem with RAM drives is once the power is off... all the data gone.

So installing windows everytime you want to use it might get annoying :)

Reactions: Rabohinf

DougMcC

Commendable
Sep 16, 2021
I have to assume its got some storage apart from VRAM as one problem with RAM drives is once the power is off... all the data gone.

So installing windows everytime you want to use it might get annoying :)
Usually such tools come with a 'take a backup' button, which stores the disk image to a file so you can power down.

Reactions: RedBear87

ezst036

Honorable
Oct 5, 2018
With all the jokes and fun aside, Tiny11 is an excellent option for outdated systems with legacy hardware.

This is really bad advice and it doubles as running into not true.

Microsoft has explicitly stated that people with older hardware are not supported. It's all wrapped up in the whole TPM2.0 fiasco that received hundreds upon hundreds of replies over the numerous reports of it as it all unfolded during the Windows 11 preview/demo/rollout time frames. As reported by Tom'sHardware (maybe you've heard of them?) https://www.tomshardware.com/news/unsupported-win11-pcs-wont-update

Because Microsoft refuses to support old hardware they explicitly refuse Windows Updates to those hardware platforms. Which is a mainstay of ongoing security against malware.

So, -(unless Microsoft changed its mind and I missed the memo) Tiny11 is NOT an excellent option for outdated systems with legacy hardware. Those users should either buy new hardware because that's what Microsoft demands them to do, or,

They should be using Linux.

Just on the malware front alone they shouldn't do this. That would create a small army of Tiny11 internet bots that replicate viruses everywhere and initiate DDOS attacks with all of the unpatched known-security flaws. Tiny11 may be great on supported systems with super-low amounts of RAM or etc as was mentioned in the article, but not legacy hardware.

So now what, you're going to load up Tiny11 with a multitude of antivirus and malware programs? Now where did all the performance go? That's not going to perform well on an old legacy system.

The one and only exception I can think if is unsupported hardware that will never touch the internet. That would probably be fine. Or you're doing fresh installs all the time? But who wants to do that just to remain virus free?

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
I'm confused as to why the VRAM is being reported as being so slow in the crystal disk mark screenshot since VRAM is supposed to be much faster than RAM and RAM is supposed to be faster than an SSD.

fball922

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2008
I'm confused as to why the VRAM is being reported as being so slow in the crystal disk mark screenshot since VRAM is supposed to be much faster than RAM and RAM is supposed to be faster than an SSD.
Because it is going through hypervisor to a driver layer emulating a native drive, is my guess. Plus it needs to travel over the PCIe lanes. Seems pretty fast, all things considered.