"Like a nerd in a motherboard shop..."

plankmeister

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
Hi,

I'm like a kid in a candy shop (I think we should popularize a new saying... a nerd in a motherboard shop) when it comes to choosing a motherboard. I'd settled on the Asus P5W DH. Then I thought I'd save some money and get an S3. Then I saw the DS4. I like the passive cooler....

The question is... Which offers a better price/performance ratio? The S3 with a suitable aftermarket Northbridge cooler? Or the DS4?

Opinions, please :)

matador_de_sa

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2006
I went with the DS3 (it's simply more durable than the S3 no other differenc) because from what I searched and heard it is the best overclocking motherboard for its price. The next step up in overclocking is the Asus p5b deluxe which costs ~$200. Getting an aftermarket northbridge cooler is a waste of money unless you're extreme overclocking with good water cooling. All you have to do is tape a nice 40mm fan to your northbridge and it shoudl keep it cool.

jonrem

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
I'd definitely reccommend a 40mm fan on the NB of the DS3 if you plan on taking it above FSB 300. It runs hot as it is and if you get around or above 400 it should ad a lot to your system stability with heavy workloads or extended sessions.