Like this case??

Take a look at this case please

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=11-144-001&depa=0

Anyone ever see or have one? I'm building a Socket A system that will have a
good video card and 2 or 3 big hard drives. One system for grandkids games and
one for me to play with W2K Server.

All advice appreciated. I want to make sure this has enough power. High end
Athlon chip someday when they get real cheap. Until then I'll have to hang in
with a little Athlon 1500. My grandkids will love all the lights...maybe add
more! Thanks.

PS... do you think this thing looks neat? I do.

In article <20040412213843.13289.00000308@mb-
m18.aol.com>, tankie@aol.com says...
> Take a look at this case please
>
> http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=11-144-001&depa=0
>
> Anyone ever see or have one? I'm building a Socket A system that will have a
> good video card and 2 or 3 big hard drives. One system for grandkids games and
> one for me to play with W2K Server.
>
> All advice appreciated. I want to make sure this has enough power. High end
> Athlon chip someday when they get real cheap. Until then I'll have to hang in
> with a little Athlon 1500. My grandkids will love all the lights...maybe add
> more! Thanks.
>
> PS... do you think this thing looks neat? I do.

With all those tiny case fans... I'll bet it makes a
good amount of racket. Drive layout looks okay, not
sure if (4) 3.5" drives mounted in the lower internal
bay would end up packed like sardines or if there would
be 1/2" of space between them.

My personal favorite case at the moment is the Antec
p160 (a bit more expensive) or the Antec Sonata. I have
(2) p160 cases now and have been very pleased. The
120mm case fans are much quieter, the hard drives are
rubber mounted to quiet them down, and it has a nice
internal layout and airflow. The p160 comes with 3
pretty blue LEDs (if you like) on the front, but more
importantly, the p160 supplies a pair of digital therms
to monitor inside case temps.

(Personally, I don't care for windowed cases... after a
month, all you're going to see is the dust bunnies
multiplying.)

Get a better power supply at leats 400 W.

On 13 Apr 2004 01:38:43 GMT, tankie@aol.com (TANKIE) wrote:

>Take a look at this case please
>
>http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=11-144-001&depa=0
>
>Anyone ever see or have one? I'm building a Socket A system that will have a
>good video card and 2 or 3 big hard drives. One system for grandkids games and
>one for me to play with W2K Server.
>
>All advice appreciated. I want to make sure this has enough power. High end
>Athlon chip someday when they get real cheap. Until then I'll have to hang in
>with a little Athlon 1500. My grandkids will love all the lights...maybe add
>more! Thanks.
>
>PS... do you think this thing looks neat? I do.

The looks are a personal preference, if that's what you like...

There are 3 main problems:

1) Sheet metal too thin, think .7mm or "maybe" .8mm, makes it relatively
flimsy. A decent steel case would be 1.0 mm, Aluminum even thicker but
1.0mm might be ok given it's not overly large, but the window doesn't help
with structural stability. If you are never going to move it around it
may be adequate but not the type of case I'd want to reuse again and
again. The gloss black is a PITA to keep shiney and the paint is thin,
some people have had theirs scrape off or peel.

2) Power supply is one of Channel Well's low-end generic labels, it is
junk. 350W in a good name-brand would usually be enough for typical
system but the best advice is to not use the power supply as it may strain
the motherboard and (if same as their higher wattage models) doesn't even
provide the basic filtration or surge protection of a $20 name-brand 250W.

3) Fan mounts are mostly obstructed with stamped-in metal grillwork.
They need cut out to improve airflow, but with metal sheeting that thin it
deforms more easily when cutting it. You might have to use a hole saw or
"maybe" an electric nibbler moved very slowly wouldn't crease it too much.
That can depend on how finshed you want it to look though, if it turns out
rough looking it's at least hidden behind the front bezel and facing
rearward EXCEPT that it has a window in it so that may also be visable
nearby the main focal points of the case.

In other words, that case is better to look at than to actually use.

In that price range you might consider this:
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=11-129-122&depa=0