Like VR Backpacks? Try Intel’s VR Vest

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaber2

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
Liquid cooling version would plug into your penis. no really I though it would be on a belt not a vest, this however would stop a bullet from behind

targetdrone

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2012
It has a 100 mAh (Li-Ion) battery that comprises the front ballast (the rest of the system is on the back), but the team cleverly added a second 20 mAh battery. Because the smaller battery can power the system for short time, you can hot-swap the larger one.

120 mAH of battery won't power a smart phone for longer than 20 minutes let a lone a full computer.

edhem

Reputable
Feb 12, 2015
I think it is an interesting idea. It would be interesting if they made those computers robust enough to be used for military training games where the whole landscape was designed virtually to improve soldiers' (or us overweight gamers who want to lose weight) reaction times.

Jeff Fx

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015
I'd love to lose the cable to my Vive, but having my skin temperature raised to 95F while running around in VR does not sound pleasant. I keep my VR room at 69F, with multiple fans running to keep room-scale VR from being a sweaty experience.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I still think it's too hot. Even if the PC were turned off and I weren't running around in it, I still wouldn't like to wear such a garment in a non-airconditioned space, during the summer.

I imagine you could put smaller battery packs or individual cells in the straps of a backpack, and that also seems more female-compatible.

Also, I wouldn't buy any wearable that's not washable. It shouldn't take more than about 5 minutes to remove everything to prepare for machine washing, and about the same to reinstall the electronics, afterwards.

Finally, I'd hope they put some airspace between the NUC and the wearer, to minimize heat transfer.

ar38070

Commendable
Aug 18, 2016
I think that all you would have to do is take the guts out of a gaming laptop with a pascal gpu. You don't need the screen, kb. Should be able to get under 5kg with no problem. Most of the weight would be in the batteries. Heat should not be too bad as you are not as space constrained like in a laptop chassis.

Vorador2

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2007
Smaller and lighter than other manufacturers VR backpacks than are converted gaming laptops. Now when they add the discrete GPU they will have a product on their hands.

Weird choice to use the Rift rather than the Vive since the former requires an IR camera plugged to the computer, while the Vive only needs to have the headset plugged in.

SockPuppet

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
This might be a good idea with Intel's Project Alloy. But for Rift/Vive these vest/backpack/cummerbund/wtfever ideas are just dumb.

The Rift requires the use of at least one USB connected camera that stays stationary. That right there means this vest won't work with the Rift. The Vive is restricted to a maximum of 15mx15m pre-set square area. So you aren't gaining any "freedom", and you're trading in a cord that weights maybe 4 ounces that you forget about 10 seconds after the game starts for a 5-10 pound PC strapped to your chest that you're sure as hell never going to forget is there.

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014

'Twas a typo. Fixed now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS