Question Limit desktop system power consumption to match that of laptops/mini-pcs?

MandelaEffect2000

Reputable
Apr 6, 2017
Hey,

I'm wondering if it's possible to limit the system power draw of a desktop PC (AMD Ryzen 4000 Series) to match the ~65w power ceiling found on their mobile counterparts such as laptos or mini-pc's.

Thank you!

MandelaEffect2000

Reputable
Apr 6, 2017
Yeah. I was wondering if there was some BIOS option or software to tweak the power consumption of the processor like laptos have (energy-saving mode), etc.

Does anybody know of any software that does that for desktop Ryzen CPUs?

MandelaEffect2000

Reputable
Apr 6, 2017
The actual hardware and the instruction set are designed differently.

What are you actually looking to do?
Are there any actual differences to instruction set between Desktop and Mobile CPU's?

I'm interested in buying a mini-pc to run 24/7 as a file-sharing server, nothing fancy. But I do use some VMs on it from time to time.

I was thinking if it was possible to reduce total system consumption of a desktop machine, then I wouldn't need to spend the extra cash buying mobile parts.

USAFRet

Titan
Are there any actual differences to instruction set between Desktop and Mobile CPU's?

I'm interested in buying a mini-pc to run 24/7 as a file-sharing server, nothing fancy. But I do use some VMs on it from time to time.

I was thinking if it was possible to reduce total system consumption of a desktop machine, then I wouldn't need to spend the extra cash buying mobile parts.
I have a Beelink GTR-Pro as HTPC.
https://www.amazon.com/Beelink-GT-R-Processor-Graphics-Bluetooth/dp/B08DQXK873
(paid much less than that in the initial indegogo release)

It would easily serve as a file server, and probably VMs as well.
Its not just the mobile CPU, but also the motherboard and its features.

My TS-453a QNAP will easily run VMs as well as being the whole house file server.

aalkjsdflkj

Honorable
Jun 30, 2018
Have you looked into using Eco Mode? If I remember correctly, AMD claims that it essentially drops power usage 1 tier, so a 105W CPU operates as if it were a 65W CPU, or a 65W performs as a 45W. It's easy to set up in Ryzen Master. I run my Ryzen 5 3600 that way, and it keeps temperatures, fan speed, noise, and power draw all very low. On the rare occasion I need more it's a simple one click and reset to get it up to full power. I do that maybe once or twice a month if I'm doing something that will actually benefit from the higher CPU power.
Note: This doesn't make a desktop chip behave exactly like a laptop chip, but it does reduce power for a much lower drop in performance than you might expect.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-9-3900-review-eco-mode

Reactions: MandelaEffect2000

MandelaEffect2000

Reputable
Apr 6, 2017
Have you looked into using Eco Mode? If I remember correctly, AMD claims that it essentially drops power usage 1 tier, so a 105W CPU operates as if it were a 65W CPU, or a 65W performs as a 45W. It's easy to set up in Ryzen Master. I run my Ryzen 5 3600 that way, and it keeps temperatures, fan speed, noise, and power draw all very low. On the rare occasion I need more it's a simple one click and reset to get it up to full power. I do that maybe once or twice a month if I'm doing something that will actually benefit from the higher CPU power.
Note: This doesn't make a desktop chip behave exactly like a laptop chip, but it does reduce power for a much lower drop in performance than you might expect.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-9-3900-review-eco-mode
Thank you! I didn't know about"Eco Mode".

So Eco Mode is basically set via a Windows software? It works on all AMD Ryzen CPUs? Any chance of getting that functionality in Linux?