[SOLVED] Limit power to gpu

Gaspar Cosme

Honorable
Apr 15, 2015
Hello there, this is my first post here.
I recently bought a sapphire r9 390x tri-x and a evga 500w 80+ white power supply. The rest of my system is a i5 4590, 2 sticks of 4gb 1600 mhz, a wd blue and the motherboard is a gigabyte h97 gaming 3.
I know that the power of the psu is too close to the maximum power of the system, but i'm from argentina where everything went up in price a lot and this is what i was able to buy (beacuse is not a big used market in my city).
I'm looking for help to reduce the power draw of the gpu to not blow everything up. Amd drivers have a limit power option but i don't know how that affects to the clock speed of the gpu processor and the power of the cooling fans, because if i reduce the power of the card the coolers will have less power to cool everything down.
Thank you for your time guys :D

Solution
I'd suggest for you to save up and buy a new psu as using your current one may break anytime possible with a chance of your psu taking your other components with it.

Seeing as your GPU has a recommendation of 600W, a 500W low quality unit just seems like a recipe for a disaster.

There is no way for you to cut down the wattage enough for it to be 100% safe to use.
I'd suggest for you to save up and buy a new psu as using your current one may break anytime possible with a chance of your psu taking your other components with it.

Seeing as your GPU has a recommendation of 600W, a 500W low quality unit just seems like a recipe for a disaster.

There is no way for you to cut down the wattage enough for it to be 100% safe to use.

Solution

Gaspar Cosme

Honorable
Apr 15, 2015
Okay, then i have to ask you, i'm only able to (maybe) buy a tt litepower or a evga n1 series, both 650w and no 80+. Wich one you reccomend?
[Edit, a evga n1 750w (no 80+) seems to be affordable right now]
[[Edit #2, found a aerocool cylon 600w 80 bronze]]

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS