[SOLVED] Limit processor usage of a specific program in Windows 10

sirhawkeye

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2014
So I have Adobe Lightroom Classic CC and it seems that in the last update, they have improved it's speed but at the cost of it being able to use all 4-cores on my laptop (which is an i5 7300, 2.5 GHz quad, non-hyperthreaded). At times it will use as much as 90% of the processor and make it impossible to multi-task beyond typing and browsing the Internet. Even just flipping between various windows is delayed when doing certain things in LR with the latest release.

Is there a way that I can limit just Lightroom to only either be able to use up to 50% of each core, or limit it's useage to just 2 of the 4 cores?
I know you can set the affinity in the TAsk Manager but I think this has to be done each time the computer boots. Is there also a way to set this and save it so it's retained after rebooting/shutting down?

Solution
The easiest thing is to use the process priorities option in the task manager. Go to the details tab. Then you can highlight a process and LOWER the priority of it. That will allow anything you are doing to preempt Lightroom. See if that doesn't take care of your issue.

kanewolf

Titan
The easiest thing is to use the process priorities option in the task manager. Go to the details tab. Then you can highlight a process and LOWER the priority of it. That will allow anything you are doing to preempt Lightroom. See if that doesn't take care of your issue.

Reactions: punkncat
Solution