[SOLVED] Limit Wifi Speed on router

Mizuho

Reputable
Jun 1, 2017
Hey there, in my house there are actually about 5 people using the WIFI. There's a new couple who when using the WIFI, makes it really unusable for me, who's on ethernet, to use anything. Is there any way to limit their bandwidth? Thank you

Solution
depending on router you can log into it using 192.168.0.1 IP and often default password etc is Admin/password .. or Admni and no password.. but check with your manufacture.. and the router should have a setting under wifi that will allow you to throttle connections by mac address.. I do this on mine for tenants so they don't use all the bandwidth
Hey there, in my house there are actually about 5 people using the WIFI. There's a new couple who when using the WIFI, makes it really unusable for me, who's on ethernet, to use anything. Is there any way to limit their bandwidth? Thank you

I think this would be better posted in Wireless Networking... might get more responses at least.

The answer will almost certainly depend on what router you have and..... who has admin privileges on that router.

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
depending on router you can log into it using 192.168.0.1 IP and often default password etc is Admin/password .. or Admni and no password.. but check with your manufacture.. and the router should have a setting under wifi that will allow you to throttle connections by mac address.. I do this on mine for tenants so they don't use all the bandwidth

Solution
I will assume you actually mean that they make the internet slow. There are options to restrict internet bandwidth but the router must have the feature. Most routers are extremely basic and can not do much to limit traffic.

But if your question is you want to limit the wifi bandwidth itself that I have not seen any ability to do on consumer routers. If for example there was a local server connected via ethernet or even on a different wifi device. There is no way to limit the traffic between these devices.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts