Limitations from the I7 2600 only supporting a max of 16 pcie lanes?

yhwhshua.lamoore

Prominent
Sep 11, 2017
I am going to buy an Optiplex 790 MT, 16gb ram with an i7 2600 ofcourse, and Im going to add a Zotac GeForce GTX 1050 ti OC eddition into it. Apparently the motherboard only supports sata II, not III. So I was planning on getting an m.2 ssd and an m.2 to pcie converter (since there's an extra pcie x16, wired as x4 slot). But I now just found out that the i7 2600 only supports 16 pcie lanes, which is 4 short, than what I need. I would like to know what will happen if I put this build together. Will the ssd not work? Will either the gpu or ssd have a decrease in performance? Or will everything work and there will be no drawbacks?

Solution
You won't be able to boot from the pcie adapter and most uses do not benefit from the higher max. You can probably find a bigger sata ssd for the price anyways which will be better. The x16 slot wired for x4 uses the mobo's lanes not the cpu. This means the gpu runs at x16 and the x4 slot still runs at x4.
You won't be able to boot from the pcie adapter and most uses do not benefit from the higher max. You can probably find a bigger sata ssd for the price anyways which will be better. The x16 slot wired for x4 uses the mobo's lanes not the cpu. This means the gpu runs at x16 and the x4 slot still runs at x4.

Solution

yhwhshua.lamoore

Prominent
Sep 11, 2017

I didn't say the system wouldn't boot. It will boot with it in. It doesn't support booting from a pcie slot. Where the lanes come from is irrelevant to being bootable. Using a m.2 ssd will not benefit you and will be a less ideal storage setup.

yhwhshua.lamoore

Prominent
Sep 11, 2017

TRENDING THREADS